450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Within the last two days, I have had at least TWO 450 Bushy owners contact me about problems with their bolts not ejecting spent cases. This is just a short video of how I test my AR 15 bolts, regardless of caliber. It's just me and the camera so angles may not be perfect but you should be able to get the jest of how to at least function test the bolt out of the weapon.
This was shot using a new quieter digital camera, but it is still a cheapy. At least it doesn't sound like a herd of mice chewing on the focus button...LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLY84nk0l3g
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: 450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Nice job.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby buckhead » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Sheepdog thanks for all the info and inviting me to this site
I'm new here and I have had problems with my new 450 I picked it up and once ready to fire it jamed on the first shot so I came home and opened it up and the extractor lip was broke off. Bushmaster replaced this right away and I'm very happen with their service, as this is my first AR and I bought this to deer hunt with in Indiana next season. I will be going out this weekend to sight my 450 in I have topped it with a nikon 3-9-50mm and the burris one piece rings and mount and I'm ready to put some rounds thru it.
buckhead

Postby AR_Hunter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Sheepdawg,
Thanks for the video as it's a great intro for members who are new to the AR platform. I'm posting the picture of the bolt face that you asked for in the pm earlier. My extractor and ejector pass both tests. I have disassembled the extractor and everything looks normal. I can NOT get the extractor to grip the round while the round is seated in the chamber. With the upper off of the lower or connected as a complete rifle I can load a round by hand OR using the charging handle and the bolt will NOT extract the round. I can then hold the gun or upper in the vertical position and the round will fall out of the chamber as expected. I am noticing that the bolt/carrier assembly is locking fully but I do not think that extractor is actually hooking the shell rim fully. I have chambered several different rounds and they will all have a few small marks on the outer part of the cartridge rim. It's almost like the cartridge is not protruding enough for the extractor to reach it. I compared it to my .223 upper and the .223 round does protrude further, granted it is a different round. I'm posting the picture of one of the rounds as well. I'm not sure where to go from here. The rifle is super accurate but is basically a one shot gun at this point.

450 Bolt Face by patrick-collins, on Flickr

Extractor Marks by patrick-collins, on Flickr
AR_Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 pm

AR Hunter,
I'm going to have to let Tim or one of our gurus look into this. Can you measure your chamber?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Let me Rattle Tim's cage and move the cedar shavings around. He may have to step in on this. I Don't know for sure, but I am still suspecting the extractor. :? Have you checked to see if the extractor buffer is installed under the extractor spring? I am wondering by looking at your pictures, is the extractor a un-modified 7.62X39mm Extractor or an actual 450 Bushmaster Extractor.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 pm

buckhead wrote:Sheepdog thanks for all the info and inviting me to this site
I'm new here and I have had problems with my new 450 I picked it up and once ready to fire it jamed on the first shot so I came home and opened it up and the extractor lip was broke off. Bushmaster replaced this right away and I'm very happen with their service, as this is my first AR and I bought this to deer hunt with in Indiana next season. I will be going out this weekend to sight my 450 in I have topped it with a nikon 3-9-50mm and the burris one piece rings and mount and I'm ready to put some rounds thru it.

Welcome to the Electronic Campfire, buckhead. Hot Dogs are on me.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby AR_Hunter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:24 pm

The extractor is an original 450 Bushmaster extractor with around 15 rounds through it. Yes, it does have the blue buffer inside the extractor spring. Any chance anyone has a spare extractor laying around???? :?
AR_Hunter

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Humm..Of course the pics are not definitive enough for me, and gunsmithing through the net can be difficult, at best, but I too am wondering if that is a real 450 extractor. Even a 223 extractor will work a little, sometimes. That baby might need to go back to the factory, but just send the upper, that way you'll have no need of an FFL transfer.

But getting back to the problem, it actually looks like a 223 extractor, maybe.

And, by hand (as in, take the bolt carrier group out and manually insert the cartridge), are you able to put the cartridge under the extractor claw, without stressing the extractor?

Golly, not sure what to do here.. Where is your AO? Are there competent AR Smiths in your area?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Headspace problem?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles