Gas Block Accessories?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Gas Block Accessories?

Postby BillytheKid » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Several searches turned up nothing on this, so here goes!

I read somewhere that the .450b forward "gas block" on my 20" barrel was for accessories.

I have been unable to find accessories that attach to the gas block. Do they exist?

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: Gas Block Accessories?

Postby wildcatter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 pm

BillytheKid wrote:Several searches turned up nothing on this, so here goes!

I read somewhere that the .450b forward "gas block" on my 20" barrel was for accessories.

I have been unable to find accessories that attach to the gas block. Do they exist?

Bill

It's not really for accessories, it being more of a front sight gas block, with the sight tower cut off. You'd have to install a Picatinny rail gas block system (http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#ar15%2 ... om/Search/#ar15%20gas%20block____-_1-2-4_8-16-32), if accessories are wanted. The good news is, to do this mod, is easy and cheap, to boot. After this installation, the HUGH world of accessories will open to you..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BayouBob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Didn't Bushmaster offer a front sight that fits the dummy block?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 pm

I have 20" and swapped the faux gas block to a quad rail gas block then added a folding front site to that. I believe that the only way to get the railed gas block was to just buy the 16". I think I paid may $15-$20 for my quad rail gas block at a local shop and was maybe 5 minutes of install time. Any mil-spec front site/gas block will work. I saved the fake one for the pistol build. Hope this answers your questions. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby gunnut » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 pm

I use a front gas block to mount an accelerometer "test equipment" Anything you mount on the front gas block Will change the point of impact.
So, If you mount a sight,lazer or flashlight, Sight it in and leave it. Just to let you know.
gunnut

Postby BillytheKid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping they had stuff that attached directly to it. But, that's ok, in that case, I am considering adding accessories to the hand guard instead.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Cely1932 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Bill,
Check out Mount-n-slot direct attach mounts at impactweaponscomponents.com. They have the ticket for MOE and the various 2" & 1.75" Dia handguards. If you don't see what your looking for, call Earl and talk with him, I'm SURE he has something in the works!

Craig
Cely1932

Postby Colohunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:58 pm

It's probably a good idea to add on to the handguard instead of the gas block. That way it will not affect point of impact and you will have more choices on how to arrange the items on a handguard.
Colohunter

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

gunnut wrote:I use a front gas block to mount an accelerometer "test equipment" Anything you mount on the front gas block Will change the point of impact.
So, If you mount a sight,lazer or flashlight, Sight it in and leave it. Just to let you know.

Yeah, I heard an old Gunny say he used to chastise the grunts when the put their bayonets on without being called for the same reason.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles