Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:04 am

gunnut wrote:
Hoot wrote:I boxed up (Small Priority Flat Rate) the CCWS carrier in a ziploc and will drop it at the post office on the way home from work tomorrow. In a smaller ziploc, I included a pre-printed shipping label and (New Rate) Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box return postage along with a copy of the email I sent Robin with the details. I did not seal the box yet in case either of you need something else included. I'll check before going to the post office tomorrow.

Hoot

Recieved Carrier today. Will be tested tomorrow.

Fantastic John!

I eagerly await your findings.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:07 am

Hoot wrote:
gunnut wrote:
Hoot wrote:I boxed up (Small Priority Flat Rate) the CCWS carrier in a ziploc and will drop it at the post office on the way home from work tomorrow. In a smaller ziploc, I included a pre-printed shipping label and (New Rate) Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box return postage along with a copy of the email I sent Robin with the details. I did not seal the box yet in case either of you need something else included. I'll check before going to the post office tomorrow.

Hoot

Recieved Carrier today. Will be tested tomorrow.

Fantastic John!

I eagerly await your findings.

Hoot

Me too!
9x19MdM

Postby gunnut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:10 pm

gunnut

Postby gunnut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 pm

OK! here it is. Image
which works better? This one in tiny pic? or the photo bucket link?
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I can actually read that one, You forgot to add the photo bucket one.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

oopps! heres the photo bucket one.Image
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Hmmm. I can read them both well.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 am

I'm confused Gunny. I pulled down both this trace and the one for your new proto-type in the other thread. I scaled them very closely and overlayed one on the other. The baseline graphs look like two different platforms. Perhaps a new one and one that has broken in more, or one dry and dirty and one cleaned and lubed. There appears to be both a different sampling rate and post sampling hardware and/or software filtering and/or simple averaging. While they mainly impact finer data range transitions, I was trying to reverse the graphical point coordinates and crunch them to sum the area of the positive pulses and the negative pulses to compare for an overall quality factor as well as the individual big events that are caught. It's all very cool technology to play with and draw conclusions from. Imagine what the big boys have at their disposal? I spent 15 years in Aerospace Test Engineering with random and linear vibe generators, transducers, environmental chambers, etc. We had to test and documented product performance (or failure) for Navy fighter jet computers, air to air missile computers and radar targeting computers for the 20mm Phalanx System and it was a ton of fun. Broke my heart to get "workforce reduced" after 15 years so the company could make a quarterly profit statement. They didn't last much longer though, but it was still stressful re-entering the labor market at age 42. Hoot yet again digresses.... :roll:

All that having been said, you don't need to crunch the raw data mathematically (though it would be nice) to visualize the change of period of the first recoil pulse due to the added weight in the bolt, or it's effect on bolt bounce as well as smaller nuance changes.

From your experience so far, is it more maddening to try and A) optimize each of the finite elements such as the brake, optimum carrier (or buffer) mass, buffer spring weight and active delay line stock individually for their impact upon recoil and then try to merge their characteristics, or to B) try them all lumped together and then optimize each one's characteristic for the ultimate good of the combined package's resulting trace, or is it more A) first, B) second, back to A) then B), etc?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Your insight as to what I'm doing or trying to do is very much appreciated. I find it's best to isolate the individuel component that you can not change establishing a base line and then tune the ones you can to work in conjunction with the know component reaction through timing and then put them together one by one and observe the progressive change in the system. A controlled experiment. I find it easier to observe and correct then to predict a change. The suming of the values has to take time into consideration. The sampling rate was 5K per Sec. The upper limit of my uncertified equipment which is also effected by temperature. which is why I have to reestablish a base line with each test. I just wish I had access to some of the big boys equipment. But, through multiple tests I can establish a trend and work off of that. The hard part is finding the limits of adjustment to the reactive component and they do interact. P.M. me your E-Mail and I will try to send you the full data report. Your understanding and input of what all is involved is very much welcome.

P.S. Your carrier is on its way.
gunnut

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 pm

You two are making my head hurt... :P
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles