Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Standard stock?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 pm

In the latest graphs I'm using an M4/CAR/Collapsable Stock. Not the A1 or A2 Standard ButtStock.
I've already tested the standard buffer and spring for the A2 ButtStock.
I need heavy, Enidine buffers and a heavy spring to test.
Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You "Bigboreshooter" for the latest.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Boy is that thought provoking. Look at the conservation of energy by storing it in the form of time. If you take the area of the positive part of the two traces, I bet they're close, other than frictional losses. Is there a function in Excel that can measure the area of a complex curve like those? I'm certain there are scientific programs that can. It would also be neat to then sum the positive and negative areas to see the net gain or loss.

That was pretty cruel to show us those on a work night. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm

OK, for the uninitiated, could someone explain what the data is showing on the graphs?

From my point of view, the max g's are about the same with the peak shifted in time a bit with different rigs. While the differences in acceleration are measurable, what do these "small" differences mean in terms of felt recoil - in other words, what level of experience do you need to have to feel the improvement. Sort of like a race car driver who can tell within a mph how fast he is going, while the rest of us would probably be happy to know how fast we were to the nearest 5 or 10 mph.

If this is the case, it seems like it doesn't make much difference what you use. However, from all the discussion this topic has generated, that can't be right.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby gunnut » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Does get ya thinkin. fixed amout of energy spreed over a period of time. I've been playin with excel. Haven't found what I need....Yet.
It points out what I've been trying to say. very little reduction in primary recoil. 70% has already been transfered to the shooted before these componets come into play.
It also points out that if your going to add weight you need to add a heavier spring as well.
The energy peaks are about the same and about the same time. but, if you look at where the traces cross zero directly below the peaks they get wider with more weight and spring tension. same energy/longer time.
I think this is where "felt" recoil comes in.

sometimes I get wound too tight and can't sleep.
gunnut

Postby bigboreshooter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 pm

I think the data proves my set up gives u a better "lock up" time. Which improves the bullet " jump" i.e. better accuracy. And makes it feel better to "ME". :D thanks gunny I can't wait for the conversation's to come. I am contemplating trident 20" purchase and will have all the rifle length stuff you need. If no one else sends it first. ;)
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby gunnut » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 am

The Enidine buffer and Extra power spring smooth things out and put less shock on the system and shooted.
gunnut

Postby Stealthshooter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I'd be interested to see how my Lead filled CAR buffer stacks up? Unfortunately it's the only buffer I have. How long of turn around would there be?
Stealthshooter

Postby gunnut » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:05 am

I'll get around to casting a solid core buffer one day. Can't say how long before testing. Just when times available. think the 9mm buffers are a solid core and different system. not sure.

"Hoot" "the area of a complex curve" !!? This might yield a definitive value!. now, where's that excel formula? {shuffling through the paper on my desk, checking the trash bin} If you find it let me know!
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:08 pm

gunnut wrote:I'll get around to casting a solid core buffer one day. Can't say how long before testing. Just when times available. think the 9mm buffers are a solid core and different system. not sure.

"Hoot" "the area of a complex curve" !!? This might yield a definitive value!. now, where's that excel formula? {shuffling through the paper on my desk, checking the trash bin} If you find it let me know!

The problem as you know is that Excel, while it does well with linear calculations and statistical analysis, it is not design to perform like MathCad. You'd be better off dividing the portions into approximate polygonal structures and taking their area that way. It'll leave some unaccounted for loose ends, but should be able to capture the majority of it. It's just tedious.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles