Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Postby gunnut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:00 pm

I think! I have learned enough about recoil, recoil reducers and getting them to work with muzzel brakes to move on to buffers & springs.
Together, I feel we can figure out What they are and What they do. "Sounds simple"
All the variation out there are kind of pricey and cost prohibitive for me to bear the full burden of the tests.
If any member would like to submit a buffer and or spring for testing they will be returned with a copy of the test results.
For more info, P.M. Me or post it here. This will be interesting.
gunnut

Re: Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 pm

you looking for both rifle and carbine buffers?
Al in Mi

Postby gunnut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Lets take them one at a time starting with rifle buffers and springs.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't have one to offer, but I'd sure like to see an Enidine Rifle buffer as compared to the stock A2 rifle buffer. Second would be one of those Wolf or equivalent XP springs compared to the stock A2 spring. I think they would be good additions to all the data we are fortunate to have access to.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 pm

The bench mark with each test will off the rack 16" 450 Bushmaster A2 stock, buffer and spring. Hornady 450Bushmaster 250gr. FTX
gunnut

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Hoot wrote:I don't have one to offer, but I'd sure like to see an Enidine Rifle buffer as compared to the stock A2 rifle buffer. Second would be one of those Wolf or equivalent XP springs compared to the stock A2 spring. I think they would be good additions to all the data we are fortunate to have access to.

Hoot

I have Enidine, stock and heavy weight buffers for carbine length. Plus stock spring and wolf heavy spring. Would be happy to send em in for the test. :D
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 pm

I have a Spike's ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Y'know. My 450 bolt is out being used to headspace an experimental barrel in a different caliber. My carrier that has the CCWS installed in it has been sitting here for almost a month now. If I had half a brain, I would have sent it in to be characterized for the benefit of those considering making one. Those who already have, know it makes a significant difference.

John, if you would like I can send it to you to run through the system. Even though the bolt and barrel are due back in one to two weeks, it's too bleeping cold to consider a range trip right now. I don't have Siringo's meddle. ;) Was -16.8 Thursday morning when I left for work.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Hoot! I would be glad to run a graph of your heavy carrier as compared to a standard carrier. Never crossed my mind. sorry!
I guess we need a list of rifle buffers by weight. do them 1st. with standard buffer spring. Then with one extra strong spring.
Including the hydraulic type. Thats enough for now. We'll get to the Car buffers and springs later.
SheepDawg!! We need a list somewhere to keep up with who sent what. No need to duplicate the effort.
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Okay. First. Confirm with Gunny before you send him gear. If he's already tested it, there is likely no point in retesting with a few exceptions of special requests by gunny.
FOR THOSE SENDING GEAR IN.
Anyone sending gear in for these tests needs to Email me, (don't use PM), and tell me:
Who ya are. (Username here and real name.)
The date you sent the gear.
Your addy to return the gear to.
And a detail list describing what you sent Gunny.
It would be a good idea to put gear in a ziplock bag with
Personal info and details on the bag with a sharpie. (sharpie the parts if you want to).
Or put a unique mark with sharpie on part for ID purposes.
All of this info needs to be included in your email to me.
EMAIL ME. Do not PM me.
Please be sure to give me your mailing address in case gunny needs a back up so he can get the parts back to you once the tests are complete.
If you have a difital camera. It might be a nice to have a pic or 2 of the items for id purposes.
you may forward those pics to me to be saved in the archive.
Gunny, when you get the gear, email me what you got so I can cross reference and confirm. Anything else?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles