Muzzle brake and recoil questions

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Muzzle brake and recoil questions

Postby firehawk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

I've seen on here many have a high regard for the brake made by Ross. How does one go about purchasing one of these?

Another question is, is there really a big difference between the "factory" brake and the Ross? Is the Ross louder? What is it made of?

While I really don't mind the recoil of the .450, if it could be reduced without spending alot of money, I'm willing to try different set ups. I've read several things about the Wolff power spring. I've ordered one to try out with the standard carbine buffer, if it does nothing I'm out $13 no big deal.
firehawk

Re: Muzzle brake and recoil questions

Postby etijsma » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I do not have one but it appears all the info you need is on the first page..

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=539
etijsma

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 pm

send a e-mail to Ross, think they are $45 shipped. I have both the 1" and the .812 in stainless. I can't tell a big diff between the two sizes, but the smaller one blends in a bit better.

As for the stock Izzy, IMHO................it's more like a hood ornament on a car, there for show, not much on function from what I could feel.
Al in Mi

Postby firehawk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Al in Mi wrote:send a e-mail to Ross, think they are $45 shipped. I have both the 1" and the .812 in stainless. I can't tell a big diff between the two sizes, but the smaller one blends in a bit better.

As for the stock Izzy, IMHO................it's more like a hood ornament on a car, there for show, not much on function from what I could feel.

Thanks for the info. Not questioning you but didn't I read wildcatter state alot of work went into the Izzy brake? I suppose I could shoot a few rounds without the Izzy and see if the results are the same as you got.

I also read in the thread about the Ross brake that it does increase the noise level. Not sure I want to head down that road if true.
firehawk

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:28 pm

PM me your addy and I'll drop this 1" off in the mail Monday and you can test drive it against the Izzy.
Al in Mi

Postby firehawk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Al in Mi wrote:PM me your addy and I'll drop this 1" off in the mail Monday and you can test drive it against the Izzy.

PM with address sent. Thanks!
firehawk

Postby gunnut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:47 pm

The Ross brake came out on top...Not by much over the Tank brake. both very close.
They do reduce recoil.
Neither one came close to reducing muzzle climb as much as the Izzy. It does this very well.
IMHO....Muzzle brakes should be used to reduce muzzle climb. They are out on the end where they have the most leverage to do so.
That was the original intent of barrel porting. 2 ports! 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock.
I think a lot more can be done to reduce recoil at the other end of the gun.
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm

The Izzy was designed to control muzzle climb. And it does this extremely well. But muzzle climb and recoil are two different animals. The Ross brake helps control recoil. According to Gunnuts research, the Ross brake does what it is designed to do.
Here is a link to lead you to several posts and also to Ross and his brakes.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1687
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:33 am

I love my Ross break. I do not have anything to compare it to though.
I did shoot a deer without ear protection this year and didn't notice any difference in loudness between the 450 and my 30'06. Both make my ears ring for a while after shooting without protection.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby tridentarmory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

You are right in my opinion to investigate muzzle brakes...
At my shop we researched the potential advantages to using them on hot 450 loads for some time before coming to a solution. We believe that we have removed the majority of the muzzle climb as well as a substantial amount of recoil from our rifles....

there are multiple on the market that will do what you are looking for, ours are integral to our barrels...
the ross looks legitimate.
tridentarmory

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles