AR Homedone Trigger Job...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: AR Homedone Trigger Job...

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:21 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
tridentarmory wrote:im sorry, please dont take that all the wrong way either.... and no i dont read between the lines to notice the smileys sometimes...

anyways, yes there is a lot one can do to help this issue, and what you are explaining is a lot better than stock...

i did one back in college, for a milspec match gun of mine, and by the time i was done, it would break great, but fire once when i pulled the trigger, and once when i let go. :o

that made me really sad ;)

I have polished up some of my triggers, but I am very reluctant to attempt to remove the creep just for that reason. I'm afraid I will end up with a rifle that might go happy on me.

I think, if you only add the set screw, you could just back it off or out if things don't work correctly. I did mine the way MrRowdy explained, by running it up until things lock up and then backing it back down until there's almost zero creep and all operations are normal.
9x19MdM

Postby MrRowdy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am

9x19MdM, I'm glad to hear that you had good results.

As far as any malfunctions, if done properly it is just as reliable as the mil-spec setup. Plus, it's all completely reversible and adjustable. If you find that you lightened the hammer spring too much and are having failures to pop the primer you just give the hammer spring a little tweak and you're back in business.

I don't see how the gun can go "happy" on you with these changes. Worst case is that you adjust the set screw up too far and the disconnector won't release the hammer. Accidental discharge is a possibility if you don't insure proper hammer and trigger spring tensions mixed with too little sear engagement. It'll take time and understanding of the trigger group to get to the sweet spot but once you find it you have a damn good trigger for damn near nothing.
MrRowdy

Postby bigboreshooter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Be careful with this mod. If the BATFE hears your gun accidentally go full auto, they will lock you up and no amount of whoops sorry I was trying a cheap fix will save you. I will just buy a Timney.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Yep, there's a guy in the big house right now because someone borrowed his rifle, and while shooting it, it went rock 'n roll on him...the ever-vigilant BATFE didn't give a big rat's patootie that there was a flaw in the mechanism...they wanted the owner behind bars. One less guy to keep track of while they were busy watching thousands of AKs "walk" across the Mexican border.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles