Pigtail gas tube to soften recoil

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Pigtail gas tube to soften recoil

Postby firehawk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Being the "curious George" that I am could a pigtail gas tube, and maybe a hydraulic buffer soften the recoil enough to be worth the it? Is the pigtail gas tube basically just a mid length gas tube?

I know the .450 was designed to run standard mil spec parts but, could the pigtail and or hydraulic buffer 'work" or just cause problems? Anyone ever tried a pig tail gas tube?

Should I forget about it and crawl back under my rock? :mrgreen:
firehawk

Re: Pigtail gas tube to soften recoil

Postby BayouBob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Thumper doesn't have enough recoil to make modifications or the price of them worth the effort. It is a mild shooting rifle that somehow has a magical whallop on game.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby gunnut » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:31 am

I’ll try to explain.
1. The pig tail gas tube is longer than the carbine gas tube. But, the point where the gas exits the barrel and enters the tube is the same. If you look at it from the point of secondary recoil, when the bullet leaves the barrel the gas expand very rapidly about 3 to 5 times faster the bullet velocity. Depending on bore diameter smaller faster, larger slower... So, the gas reaches the bolt carrier key at about the same time and the bullet has not travel to the point of a rifle length gas tube. So, No delay of bolt opening.
2. I’ll go on with this. When the 40 Kpsi. gas hits the bolt carrier the 1st thing to happen is the bolt is slammed into the locked position. Its lighter then the carrier. Then the carrier moves as the gas expands and launches the carrier group into the buffer and compressing the spring while unlocking the bolt. This is when the majority of the recoil reduction of the gas action occurs The expanding gas is also pushing against the upper receiver slowing its acceleration. After the carrier moves about ½ inch the acceleration is over. The key is off of the gas tube and its all inertia compressing the buffer spring to end of travel and transferring the remaining inertia to the shooter. The stored energy in the buffer spring returns the bolt carrier group into lock up. Then the free floating weights in the buffer slam into the group countering the bolt bounce.
3. I would like to take a look at the signature of a hydraulic buffer if someone would care to send me one.
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:45 am

gunnut wrote:I’ll try to explain.
1. The pig tail gas tube is longer than the carbine gas tube. But, the point where the gas exits the barrel and enters the tube is the same. If you look at it from the point of secondary recoil, when the bullet leaves the barrel the gas expand very rapidly about 3 to 5 times faster the bullet velocity. Depending on bore diameter smaller faster, larger slower... So, the gas reaches the bolt carrier key at about the same time and the bullet has not travel to the point of a rifle length gas tube. So, No delay of bolt opening.
2. I’ll go on with this. When the 40 Kpsi. gas hits the bolt carrier the 1st thing to happen is the bolt is slammed into the locked position. Its lighter then the carrier. Then the carrier moves as the gas expands and launches the carrier group into the buffer and compressing the spring while unlocking the bolt. This is when the majority of the recoil reduction of the gas action occurs The expanding gas is also pushing against the upper receiver slowing its acceleration. After the carrier moves about ½ inch the acceleration is over. The key is off of the gas tube and its all inertia compressing the buffer spring to end of travel and transferring the remaining inertia to the shooter. The stored energy in the buffer spring returns the bolt carrier group into lock up. Then the free floating weights in the buffer slam into the group countering the bolt bounce.
3. I would like to take a look at the signature of a hydraulic buffer if someone would care to send me one.

Yeah! What he said..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bigboreshooter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:26 am

3. I would like to take a look at the signature of a hydraulic buffer if someone would care to send me one.[/quote]

I have carbine length endine if ya want it.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby gunnut » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:11 pm

That will work. all samples of this type buffer are welcome. It will be returned to you as soon as it is tested.
P.M. for address
gunnut

Return to AR15 Style Rifles