.338-.450BM (8.58 SOCOM) Development

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: .338-.450BM (8.58 SOCOM) Development

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm

IMHO, all the beasts I know deserve a better bullet, not one that screams "I'm queer!!". The performance on that thing is questionable at best. Look at the expansion and tumble. Tumbling Can make bullets change direction after striking a bone. I DON'T WANT THAT. Or I at least want to minimize that. Tumbling bullets becomes a crap shoot. You could take out something you didn't want to. Backstraps, another deer standing beside another. A hog dog. Neighbors horse. A person. Nope. I'm not convinced.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:IMHO, all the beasts I know deserve a better bullet, not one that screams "I'm queer!!". The performance on that thing is questionable at best. Look at the expansion and tumble. Tumbling Can make bullets change direction after striking a bone. I DON'T WANT THAT. Or I at least want to minimize that. Tumbling bullets becomes a crap shoot. You could take out something you didn't want to. Backstraps, another deer standing beside another. A hog dog. Neighbors horse. A person. Nope. I'm not convinced.

A Big 10-4!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen bullets, on many, many occasions deflect more than 90 degrees. In fact, I sport, one of the greatest dueling scars, on my right cheek, wherein I was hit by one of our bullets coming right straight back at me. Poop, on tumbling bullets, I want straight tracking so I can dissect the animal through the scope and determine where the vitals are, so I can "Reliably", take them out, a tumbling bullet can not guarantee this at all.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:47 pm

BillytheKid wrote:After visiting that web page, here's what I came away with:

"excellent performance on small to medium size game"

I wouldn't want to use a 338 on small game...

Well see, a .338 high BC bullet, meant for the 338 Lapua, going slow (1000fps), ain't much good, for much more than small game, right?

Like I always say.."I can make a bowling ball come out of our gun, but then the only thing in danger, are our toes"!!..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby johnbearross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 am

I agree on the original link's data projections not making sense. The numbers just don't add up.

.338 Spectre is a nice little niche cartridge, but a little underpowered for what I want.
Suppressive capability is only on the very extreme edge of my wants and needs.

I'm looking for .338 Federal-like performance (maybe a touch less in the FPS department, I'm a realist) out of a .338-450 BM.
If WC can do that, I'm all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

Best,
JBR
johnbearross

Postby Siringo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:27 pm

If you are looking for 338 Federal performance ---- then it is the 338 WSSM. This is the close you will get on an AR15 chassis with out having to resort to an AR10. Go to "www.dtechsuperstore.com" You may have to cut and paste the web address if the link does not work.
Siringo

Postby johnbearross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Siringo wrote:If you are looking for 338 Federal performance ---- then it is the 338 WSSM. This is the close you will get on an AR15 chassis with out having to resort to an AR10. Go to "www.dtechsuperstore.com" You may have to cut and paste the web address if the link does not work.

That is my alternate plan if .338-.450BM doesn't pan out. Such is life. There are other routes out there, as well, but they're all gonna cost some major dinero. I appreciate it.

Best,
JBR
johnbearross

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles