450 subsonic, and suppressed

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 subsonic, and suppressed

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:40 pm

tridentarmory wrote:haha :D :D :D

this is hysterical....

ok, maybe ill switch to some bread crumbs and aim at one of my wifes pieces of steak on the grill while i do it....

im sure oatmeal will be dirtier, but im going to use it just as a simple test... think cornmeal would be better?

Cream of Wheat is probably the most popular media. Grits are in essence corn meal. Just corn meal that's had all the nutritionally good stuff boiled out of it. Raw corn meal has all its oils still in it and that may pose the potential for polymerization (turn to plastic coating) under heat and pressure. You're in uncharted waters on that from my limited experience dabbling in reduced loads. Much remains to be determined.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 pm

The Grits idea...I wonder if the Hootster is baiting deer with them??

James, the idea of grits, is so that you have something that meters well through a powder measure and also holds the powder against the primer, for better/safer ignition, when light loads are used..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I read somewhere years ago some guy was using Rayon Fiber...?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I read somewhere years ago some guy was using Rayon Fiber...?

And this works. I used it, long years ago, until I found grits would pass through the powder measure, with measured aplomb..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Ghost Dog » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Now are those instant or regular grits?

No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.
. My cousin Vinny.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:50 pm

In straight wall cases, you can get a lot of things to work. Some that might not be a good choice in bottle-neck cases, but that's more for campfire chat. Rayon works, Dupont Fiber-Fill works, cotton balls work, Kapok works, you get the idea. The main idea is to keep the powder together as a mass and preferably down at the primer. I prefer fillers that displace as much air and compress the least for repeatability of shots. I've never seen a scientific study as to what exactly is the best choice to that end.

I do not use instant cream of wheat, nor instant grits. There are three main variations of grocery store hominy grits. There are straight grits. They take the longest to cook and in all cases, cooking is really re-hydrating. Anyway, there are 5 Minute grits. I believe they are a finer grind to speed up re-hydration. Then there's instant grits. I do not know this for sure, but I assume like instant rice, they're cooked and dried to open up the pores for even faster re-hydration. I've only used 5 minute grits because that's all the local grocery store carries. For eating, I like the larger granule, slower cooked, regular grits. I also like to eat whole kernel hominy, which I often had for breakfast long before I ever had grits.

The lion's share of grits that I've used in reloading were for fireforming as I don't shoot reduced power loads. I made some to simulate bullet expansion in water jugs at distances further that point blank range, but that's it, so please do not misconstrue my familiarity with making some with me having oodles of experience.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36 am

I'm getting hungry...... Just sayin'. Image
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm

A pad of butter, some Brown sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon and lil-gun, then pour some Half and half over dem girts and bingo, you've converted the Dawg away from "MY" S'mores..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 am

wildcatter wrote:A pad of butter, some Brown sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon and lil-gun, then pour some Half and half over dem girts and bingo, you've converted the Dawg away from "MY" S'mores..

..t

I would eat buttered grits over S'mores any day! But I'm already crazy enough with adding the gunpowder. Just a bit of butter and a dash of salt please, thank you.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby brown bear 64 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:20 am

I would like to see a 200 grain bullett that goes at least 2500 fps. I would not want a bullett that goes below 2000 fps. That is the differance between the .450 Bushmaster and the .50 Beowulf and the .458 SOCOM. I would Love to see a hard cast bullett that would maintain 2000 fps. Remember anything a .454 Casull can do the .450 Bushmaster can do better and is more accurate. I suggest any bullett that is made maintain 2000 fps. My suggestions would be to try 275 and 300 grain bulletts. Try hard cast bulletts, hollow points, and copper designs. Trident Armory can do for the .450 Bushmaster what Silver State Armory did for the 6.8 SPC. SSA revitalized the 6.8 SPC and made it so much better and is making big bank. I hope Trident can do the same. I would try 200, 225, 275, and 300 grain bulletts because I think any larger would make the round go below 2000 fps. Keep in touch and keep on shooting. :D
brown bear 64

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles