450 subsonic, and suppressed

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 subsonic, and suppressed

Postby tridentarmory » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 am

Before we begin this thread, im going to start by posting my intentions.
I own and operate a Custom Gun Shop, TRIDENT ARMORY.... we build precision and hi pressure AR-rifles, for hunting big, and bigger game.
I want to pose some questions, that may force me to decide to begin researching a new line of 450 ammunition, designed to be sub-sonic.

There is a large market for subsonic suppressed firearms.... is there a market for the 450 if it can be done easily?
Can a 450 run with little to no modification, subsonic?
Why is the subsonic concept so popular, and what is its major reason for purchase on the american market(self defence, Law Enf., or plinking and fun)?
what is the range desires of the average suppressed purchaser? are we talking 100' or 100 yards?

It seems to me with the number of pre-existing projectiles in the right caliber are available... designed to expand reliably at the right velocities, and cheap to purchase.

Do you care about ballistic coeffecient at subsonic levels?

my mission.....

im going to build, or blow something up trying, a 450 that will run subsonic, as well as with our custom grade +p ammo......
same gun, buffalo at 80 yards, or silent hog hunting with a heavy copper solid in close....
i think this can be done with our progressive recoil spring, and a short gas system to lengthen the gas impulse time, and a fair quantity of head pounding.

What i want here is input, and information as to the answers to the above questions, as well as PLEASE POST SLOW HEAVY 450B LOADING DATA, THAT CYCLES.
we researched fast.... spent a fortune doing so, this seems soooooo backwards! :lol:
tridentarmory

Re: 450 subsonic, and suppressed

Postby rohk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 pm

rohk

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Here's my two-cents worth. 60+ years of history in a few paragraphs, with lots of holes in it, so bear with me.

This craze came on in WW-II, when the spec-ops, of that time, needed a sub-sonic for taking out sentries at ranges of a little more than knife welding range. Their solution was a 30 carbine, BUTTT, it was found that the 110gr bullet didn't do much more than make the Mark madder than a Hatter and for functionality, they wound up making a switch for the gas block, so they could make it a single shot,and function the action not unlike a Swedish Straight-Pull. Fast forward some, spec-ops still has a need, but the same problems are true with the 9mm, as was found with the 30 carbine, BUTTT, with a 147gr bullet, they could make an MP-5 operate reliably and still be sub-sonic. The range increased to 50yds MAX, for reliably taking out the intended targets, but action noise is still a problem.

My though is, about the sub-sonic craze, is that if spec-ops (or the military in general) wants it, then the public, at large, wants it too, just because. But there is a sub-sec that has a real need for the Pig-Bomb Plague, hence Big-Bore, semi-autos, of military design (you know the .."take a licking and keeps on ticking" reliability).

Which brings us to our rig. It's true, we have enough powder capacity, that makes going sub-sonic difficult, but not impossible. If the powders are slow enough to cycle the action, they don't seal in the chamber. If they are fast enough to seal, the action won't work well. 300-500gr bullets have this malady. Get the 300's to function and the speeds are too high (I consider 1040fps to be a usable subsonic speed and you need a margin of error, in case your ammo is being used in a high temperature area, thus increasing the pressures and thus the speeds, to super sonic speeds.).

As an asides, I've always liked the pump action AR's I have built, because the action itself makes allot of noise, then hitting subsonic's with heavy bullets becomes real easy. But then again, this is not Jim-bo's criteria, he wants semi-auto functionality.

I've have used .458" 500gr lead bullets, subsonically, with ww-296 and a pistol length gas block and done quite well. The problem here is, that you've got to use a filler, inside the case (with it's accompanying problems), if the case volume goes below 3%, of total capacity and if you want to be safe from a pressure wave event. I have been wanting to do the same thing but with Trail Boss, so I can have a full case of powder, but this remains to be seen if I can make this work??..

So, herein lies the problems, many though they are, but NOT insurmountable, at all.

Think of it, a 500gr, 45cal, full wad-cutter at 1000fps MV. The Sentries, or pigs, in my example, would not be so wounded that they couldn't sound any alarm, before succumbing, because they'd already be dead, even if the range was at 200yds and not the mere 100yds and allot less, that is expected, by the current breed of semi-auto, sub-sonic weapons, now on the market.

To me the real problem is silencing the action and I have done so, fairly well, with nylon inserts, in the action, but then again, a pump AR cures all of this, and under my scenarios, allows one to take out the whole Pig-Pack, before they know what's going on, if you whittle down the pack, from the furthest away and work to the center, OH!, I guess we've done this before. Same-same, problems with a pack of humans, in a military scenarios.

Before I sign this off, if a regular sub-sonic AR is used to engage a pig pack, they always start running after the first shot, and largely because of the action noise, and or the bullet impact noise, which is why we have used the whittling technique. Spec-Ops, have the same problems.

I've mentioned some cures or so I think they might be. But you might ask why worry about the pig-bomb, consider the amount of pig hunters and their numbers, compared to the number of weapon the military will need, which ain't many. Military needs compared to the civilian market, ain't no comparison, but the Military drives the WANTS market.

Allot of disjointed rambling here, but I hope you get the drift..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Shellback wrote:I have an interest in the Thumper. Most of my concerns are : longevity of barrel, self defense, reduced recoil and less expensive ammo.Can your subsonic research create a number of these attributes?
If you're not getting flak, you're not over the target.

All of your concerns are subjective and answerable in any number of positive ways, but as for barrel life, that baby will out-live you and your Grandkids..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Shellback wrote:I have an interest in the Thumper. Most of my concerns are : longevity of barrel, self defense, reduced recoil and less expensive ammo.Can your subsonic research create a number of these attributes?
If you're not getting flak, you're not over the target.

You have a need for a subsonic for self defense? That's pretty specialized. You must have a very good attorney. What are your self defense applications?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Sorry guys. Shellback will not be joining us in further discussions. He turned out to be less than desirable for this forum. (Troll).

You may continue your conversation.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby tridentarmory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 pm

lets keep this professional and not downtalk the gent who has left us, but what the hell is a troll?
tridentarmory

Postby tridentarmory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 pm

ya WC- i get the drift.... its difficult though from my perspective...

Im an AR guy, honestly, i think ive got carrier keys for nostrils and my knee joints have been chromed for hardness.
but im just not tacticool.
I dont do well seeing what the market shifts are because im not intuitive in nature like that.

what the heck.
im grateful to be here and pose questions for you all though, and see what we can create together.

so far this project has begun with a threaded barrel that is 14.45" long ( a spare piece of blank)
the upper is tight, and i "frog" lubed it, and threw in a H buffer in the tube.... im using carbine length buffer stuff now, but im not sure if thats going to be best..Thoughts?

i need a therory on what load to start with.... i want really heavy projectile.... i think. im going to just start with the 300 xtpmag.
also, ive drilled in multiple gas port potential locations and threaded them.. ill be running from longest to shortest and cutting the gas tube as i go, trying to find a combo of load to work with and gas system length too.

this is going to be messy, pics to come
tridentarmory

Postby tridentarmory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm

wc.... what are your thoughts on titegroup powder? ever tried it in ol thumper
tridentarmory

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:17 am

tridentarmory wrote:lets keep this professional and not downtalk the gent who has left us, but what the hell is a troll?

LOL. I sent you a PM.
We gave the guy every opportunity to contact us. He refused. Sometimes people register, start a conversation, then embed a dangerous link, or turncoat on a conversation. It sort of a bait and switch situation.
If he's still out there, all he has to do is contact me by Email or PM. I can reverse my decision.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles