headstamp disturbance

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

headstamp disturbance

Postby tbirdman74 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi everyone, new here but have read everything I could here. Love it. Also love my thumper. Couldn't ask for a better firearm. Only have 25 rounds down the tube but after 10 sighters was breaking clay pigeons set out to 200 yards. Only problem is I'm have some ejector swiping on the cases. No other problems at all. Shooting factory hornady 250 gr FTX out of 20" Bushmaster complete rifle. Will it go away after awhile as the action wears itself in? Tried to get a picture, but with zero success. Got to find my good camera. Any help is good help. Thanks all.
tbirdman74

Re: headstamp disturbance

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Make sure the chamber is not only clean, but free of anything resembling lubricant, including leak-back from cleaning the bore. With the chromed chamber, you need the cases to hold on for dear life. Don't lube inside you magazine either. Some folks disassemble, clean and lightly lube the spring and walls to make them run smoother. That rubs off on the cases. Lastly, sometimes new bolts have a burr around the ejector hole that's higher than the rest of the bolt face. I've seen them, though not in my 450b. That raised burr can lightly swipe the heads even when everything is clean and running fine. Look under a magnifier or micro-viewer for a burr. If you have one, remove the ejector plunger and spring and chase off that burr. There are a host of ways to do that.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tbirdman74 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks hoot, been thinking a burr might be the culprit, haven't had the ambition the tear bolt apart, recovering from a little back surgery two weeks ago. Thoroughly cleaned when I got it, was covered in gunk from factory.
tbirdman74

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Welcome to our Electronic Campfire, T Bird. We have a lot of good guys in here who can help you get down to the source of the issue. Hoot, its your tuen to make the S'Mores. :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Welcome to our Electronic Campfire, T Bird. We have a lot of good guys in here who can help you get down to the source of the issue. Hoot, its your turn to make the S'Mores. :mrgreen:

While I'm all for the jocularity and esprit de corps displayed here, guys I gotta tell you. I hate smores. :| The metaphor is not lost on me though. I'll just sit back and get lost in the crackling fire. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm

tbirdman74 wrote:Thanks hoot, been thinking a burr might be the culprit, haven't had the ambition the tear bolt apart, recovering from a little back surgery two weeks ago. Thoroughly cleaned when I got it, was covered in gunk from factory.

Welcome and good luck on the recovery! I had a lumbar microdiscectomy back in Oct and once the staples were removed, things got a lot better. :D
9x19MdM

Postby tridentarmory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 pm

ive seen a few issues with the problem hoot is explaining... he's right on the money with that one..

ive also seen a couple extractors that were not cleaned after being groved....another potential issue that you can check for at the same time.
additionally, sometimes yes, the issue may just resolve, but occasionally small issues become big issues, and thats worth trying to avoid all together.

hope it works out for you, and welcome to 450bushmaster.net
tridentarmory

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:10 am

Ok...I'm going to have to rethink this whole "Hoot" issue here....doesn't like S'mores.... :?

That aside, the extractor on my 20" camo bushy's bolt showed up NCO: Neat, clean and orderly...no problems whatsoever. Only had light coating of what smelled like CLP on it, and no burrs, etc. Must've been a good day on the assembly bench.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby tbirdman74 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Yep, one big burr all the way around the ejector hole. Looks like they drilled it with a hatchet. Time to tear it down and clean it up.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 pm

tbirdman74 wrote:Yep, one big burr all the way around the ejector hole. Looks like they drilled it with a hatchet. Time to tear it down and clean it up.

Can you post a before and after pic?
9x19MdM

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles