Crush Washer for Ross Brake

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Crush Washer for Ross Brake

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 am

Could they be purchased from Ross?
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby 9x19MdM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:43 am

A local motorcycle shop gave me some axle shims to try. I need to mod them to get them to work. They are almost perfect on the OD, but the ID is a little too small. The spark plug washers are pretty close too on the OD, but they also need work on the ID.
9x19MdM

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:02 pm

BillytheKid wrote:Could they be purchased from Ross?

It was a while ago, but I asked him once and he said he didn't do that.

I would never have guessed that indexing the electrode had much influence upon ignition. You learn something new every day.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 pm

I've been using precision Shoulder Bolt Shims of specific thicknesses. Question, the 5/8"ID (.625") on those shims wont fit our 11/16 (.6875") thread dia, am I missing something?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:34 pm

wildcatter wrote:I've been using precision Shoulder Bolt Shims of specific thicknesses. Question, the 5/8"ID (.625") on those shims wont fit our 11/16 (.6875") thread dia, am I missing something?..

..t

I suspect it's a matter of how much clearance the shim/washer manufacturer designs into them. My 11/16-24 threads measure .679 Major and .672 Minor if someone is out there looking for the best fit. IOW, if the 5/8 shim is actually .625 ID, you're going to have to chase 22 thousandths off for a precision fit.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MudBug » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:55 pm

wildcatter wrote:I've been using precision Shoulder Bolt Shims of specific thicknesses. Question, the 5/8"ID (.625") on those shims wont fit our 11/16 (.6875") thread dia, am I missing something?..

..t

Yes, you are missing the fact that I'm an idiot.

I forgot that the Ross brake I have isn't on my 450b, it's on a 308 bolt rifle with a 5/8's by 28 tpi thread.

Sorry guys, I hope no one has jumped on those yet.

I do recall that McMaster Carr has timing shims also for much cheaper, but that's a big site to search through.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:18 pm

MudBug wrote:I do recall that McMaster Carr has timing shims also for much cheaper, but that's a big site to search through.

I looked there for some a month or two ago and it's like take your pick. ID is correct, but OD is way too large or OD is correct and ID is way too small.

If you gotta trim to fit, then better off getting the 5/8 ones and removing 20-30 thousandths than the ones I saw on McMaster where there was some major drilling, followed by reaming, followed by de-burring.

Those of you who practiced and have done this know what I'm talking about when I say:
Using a sharp Xacto knife and utilizing tactile feedback, you can trim small amounts off of an ID, without chattering and looking actually nice. Not that it'll show once installed anyway. With the right pressure, angle of blade attack, and rotating the shim in you fingers, you can trim a continuous wire-like sliver off with good control. You do it once per side and remeasure, then repeat. After some practice, you can square the blade and take off the entire inside surface similarly, but just doing one side at a time is good for building up your technique and proficiency. Xacto blades are very hard and cut most metal in small amounts of bite. The key is not to horse it and start it chattering, unless you don't care about the looks.

Hoot
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles