Hogue free float hand guard

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Hogue free float hand guard

Postby FirstARinNY » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I can't find any discussions on the Hogue free float hand guard replacing the stock bushmaster aluminum carbine handguard. Has anyone out there swapped this handguard?
Here's my pic with my future hanguard:
450 handguard 2.JPG
450 handguard 2.JPG (22.14 KiB) Viewed 15815 times
So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb. <Robert Shaw> [JAWS/i]
FirstARinNY

Re: Hogue free float hand guard

Postby FirstARinNY » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Here's a bigger pic: Image
So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb. <Robert Shaw> [JAWS/i]
FirstARinNY

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Dude...nice looking rig with the new handguard!!!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby FirstARinNY » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:29 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Dude...nice looking rig with the new handguard!!!

Thanks want to know if installing this is way beyond my means. If anyone has done yet? The alluminum grip froze my hand this deer season something unreal!!! :shock: :shock:
FirstARinNY

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 pm

There is a previous thread about how to do this: "free float handguard/tube" by forum member "Mike"...should help.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Because the 16" rifle has a railed gas block you will have to remove it to get the old handguard off. You will also have to remove the muzzle brake and I think replace the barrel nut. You will need an upper receiver action block, a bench vise, a barrel nut wrench, an open end wrench for the brake and a strap wrench to loosen/tighten the handguards. A torque wrench to use when you put the new barrel nut on is handy but not absolutely necessary. Watch the videos from Midway USA and Brownells on how to install a free float handguard. It is a simple process and once you have everything in place the job will take maybe 15 minutes. If you don't want to go the replacement route you can solve the cold hands problem with a neoprene sleeve made for either a scope or a Maglite. Of course you have already bought the handguard so you might as well take the plunge. The rest of the tools you will need will cost you under $100 at Midway or Brownells or on fleabay and they will be a permanent addition to your inventory. If you are putting everything back just the same with the exception of the handguard you don't need to tap out the gas tube roll pin and remove the gas tube from the block; just slide the whole thing off and back on being careful not to bend the tube.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby tridentarmory » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:23 pm

We use the hogue brand products on our oem rifles... no problems.. not above your means. The barrel nut is deep though, an d therefore you ru. The risk of damaging the tube threads during install if the wrench slips. Display caution and dont attack it like a gorilla.
tridentarmory

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:52 pm

commander faschisto wrote:There is a previous thread about how to do this: "free float handguard/tube" by forum member "Mike"...should help.

Was that the one about using a urethane water bottle huggy? I thought that was a simple and elegant solution. I meant to do it before deer season, but forgot about it. For the life of me, I don't understand how folks hang onto those cheese grater quad rail ones. I picked one up at the range and it hurt to hold without even shooting it. All of mine are plain tubes with knurling.

To each his own...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 9x19MdM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:31 pm

I slipped a piece of motorcycle inner tube over mine. It's not pretty, but it was cheap!
9x19MdM

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Hoot, Cheese grater is a great descritption for those things. I tried one on my 5.56 Superlight and immediately thought of a wood rasp. If a guy hung something on all the available rail space on a quad guard he would have about a 23 pound AR.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles