What have I done?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: What have I done?

Postby Siringo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 pm

My recommendation is to contact Bushmaster. Especially regarding any warranty issues. Since you have been only shooting factory -- this would be the thing to do.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:37 pm

bushmeister wrote:Went to the range today, with my factory buttstock back in place, I got the same results. before I went, I did go through the inspection of the buffer spring area, with nothing to report, other than that I spotted the air relief areas that pretty much squashed my buttpad idea. I also checked the gas key again with a qtip, and blew in it without any noticeable restriction. as you suggested, everything seems to point towards the gas tube, or an alignment issue. I guess it's to the point that a procedure other than that recommended by the manual is required. I'd love to get this thing fixed, and I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't want to void the warranty by getting into the gas system.....thoughts?

Nah, you're not going to void the warranty. When you inspect the gas system, of course look for tube obstructions, but as for the gas cyl...There are divots made for the set screws at the 6 o'clock position on the barrel. When you take the cyl off, look at the gas port, located at the 12 o'clock position. If the cyl was turned, say half way over the port, then there will be a gas ring that looks offset from the hole. That gas ring on the barrel is a witness indicator. A properly positioned cyl will have the witness mark equal distance around the port on the barrel. If the cyl was offset to one side, the witness mark will be well off the side as well. When reinstalling the cyl slowly screw in the set screws, wiggling the cyl to make sure you are entering the setscrew divots properly, tighten it all down and thats, that, except the gas tube inspection while the cyl is off. Make sure the gas pathway through the key and bolt is clear, button everything back up and try her again. If that doesn't do it, assuming you put everything back together properly, then something is grabbing the bolt/carrier group or doubtful, but possible, the gas port was drilled with the wrong drill dia., which is .093", if memory serves, and could be checked with that drill as a gaging tool..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 pm

wildcatter wrote:Nah, you're not going to void the warranty. When you inspect the gas system, of course look for tube obstructions, but as for the gas cyl...There are divots made for the set screws at the 6 o'clock position on the barrel. When reinstalling the cyl slowly screw in the set screws, wiggling the cyl to make sure you are entering the setscrew divots properly, tighten it all down and thats, that, except the gas tube inspection while the cyl is off. ..

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!

Well, after contacting bushmaster and verifying that it would not void my warranty, I tore into the gas system. The long and short of it ended up being the 3 set screws in the gas block were not set very well. The gas block had moved forward about 1/8". I didn't notice it until I was putting her back together rather dissapointed I hadn't found a lick of debris or obstruction. I was about to tighten it up, when I decided to pull the middle screw all the way out to make sure I was lined up. It was then I could see the divot holes it was supposed to be lined up with vs. the shiny spots just in front of the divots. I took it out today and it shoots like a champ again!
I'd like to add that when I called BM, the tech guy was really helpful, and after explaining the procedure for removing the gas key (the likely culprit) He immediately offered to take it in under warranty, if I wasn't up to the job. They seem to be a top notch outfit.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
bushmeister

Postby MudBug » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:15 am

bushmeister wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Nah, you're not going to void the warranty. When you inspect the gas system, of course look for tube obstructions, but as for the gas cyl...There are divots made for the set screws at the 6 o'clock position on the barrel. When reinstalling the cyl slowly screw in the set screws, wiggling the cyl to make sure you are entering the setscrew divots properly, tighten it all down and thats, that, except the gas tube inspection while the cyl is off. ..

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!

Well, after contacting bushmaster and verifying that it would not void my warranty, I tore into the gas system. The long and short of it ended up being the 3 set screws in the gas block were not set very well. The gas block had moved forward about 1/8". I didn't notice it until I was putting her back together rather dissapointed I hadn't found a lick of debris or obstruction. I was about to tighten it up, when I decided to pull the middle screw all the way out to make sure I was lined up. It was then I could see the divot holes it was supposed to be lined up with vs. the shiny spots just in front of the divots. I took it out today and it shoots like a champ again!
I'd like to add that when I called BM, the tech guy was really helpful, and after explaining the procedure for removing the gas key (the likely culprit) He immediately offered to take it in under warranty, if I wasn't up to the job. They seem to be a top notch outfit.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Well, what can I say, other than, that's Bushmaster for ya, they are always Absolutely the best in everything they do. They are lead by CEO John DeSantis, his personal standards are of a Saint, he actually understands the Old World value of a hand shake and his conversations are of his family (that ought to tell you volumes) and he does require the same from his Staff, I mean it now, this is a Class Act Outfit and the folks there would give you the shirt off their backs, I mean really!!

NOW..

Sing the tune of.."ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST".. and "I love it when a plan comes together", Col. John "Hannibal" Smith (George Peppard)...And we here of the MudBugs, BUSHMASTER.NET, are very glad to be of service my friend..you'll notice everyone involved in this thread, was right spot on with their trouble shooting and I think I speak for them when I say it was fun as it was instructive for all of us to be able to help out (can I get an AMEN on this last Statement?). It was great that you took it one step at a time, there by, guaranteeing that you were going to discover the specific problem and then understand it's cure, but biggest of all your contributions was your sharing with us how it was going and what you were doing to cure and fix..TAKE NOTE, all ye of many future problems.."let not your heart be troubled", Sean Hannity, for there is indeed "Strength in Numbers" and the Minions here, have and display Great Strength..and now Mr. "Bushmeister", you too can be numbered among the Ranks of those who run around here with their hair on fire!!"..Go forth and Multiply thy Ammunition and Sin no more, your Penance is a life time of Happy Trigger Pulling..wink
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 am

wildcatter wrote: They are lead by CEO John DeSantis, his personal standards are of a Saint, he actually understands the Old World value of a hand shake and his conversations are of his family (that ought to tell you volumes) and he does require the same from his Staff, I mean it now, this is a Class Act Outfit and the folks there would give you the shirt off their backs, I mean really!!

Also of the Desantis holster company?

wildcatter wrote: can I get an AMEN on this last Statement?

Amen brother!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:56 am

2zero6 wrote:
wildcatter wrote: They are lead by CEO John DeSantis, his personal standards are of a Saint, he actually understands the Old World value of a hand shake and his conversations are of his family (that ought to tell you volumes) and he does require the same from his Staff, I mean it now, this is a Class Act Outfit and the folks there would give you the shirt off their backs, I mean really!!

Also of the Desantis holster company?

wildcatter wrote: can I get an AMEN on this last Statement?

Amen brother!

Nope on "leather?", not sure but I don't think there is a family link there either, but I'll ask John next time I see him..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles