A2 Sling Swivel Add-On

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450b AR Style Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:57 am

Okay guys, the one yawl are looking at and the ones I have are two different styles.
This is the one I use. Midway #551-584 $11.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/551584 ... teel-matte
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Okay guys, the one yawl are looking at and the ones I have are two different styles.
This is the one I use. Midway #551-584 $11.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/551584 ... teel-matte

Well, I ordered a couple of those, along with some other hardware I needed.

For those looking for simple picture of folks 450b setups, I apologize for belaboring the issue. In hindsight, it probably warranted a separate thread as I'm sure other people will benefit from the information and never think to look in the picture thread. Dawg, can the posts be moved to their own thread?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Hoot wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:The Midway illustration is completely misleading. It fits right in, and then you can put a normal loop or QD in it. The mounting hole is oriented left-right, fixed. :)

Thanks Joe.

I'm not obtuse, but just tell me one more time that:

If that is the case, I have a few other baubles I need to order anyway from Midway, so I may just have to pick a couple of them up for my two stocks. Even though the regular fixed loop ones that come with the A2 stock, spend most of their lives in a drawer in my shop as they interfere with my rear bag. I only mount them for hunting season, then take them back off.

FYI: In case anyone does not realize it, you can unscrew the butt plate screw that normally goes in the standard A2 fixed loop, drop a nut of the same thread down in the slot that the loop normally rides in and screw the butt plate screw back into the nut. IIRC, I sanded the nut a little thinner than it normally is to allow it to fit down in the slot, but I bet you could find thin profile nuts (like jam nuts) that would not need sanding.

This kind of stuff you guys keep revealing is why I have a hard time saving up my shekels. ;)

Hoot

I think that this swivel actually swivels inside that hub looking base. It may even had a quick disconnect system like those little ball bearing doo dads, QD systems have. (Don't I sound technical? :roll: )
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Hoot wrote:For those looking for simple picture of folks 450b setups, I apologize for belaboring the issue. In hindsight, it probably warranted a separate thread as I'm sure other people will benefit from the information and never think to look in the picture thread. Dawg, can the posts be moved to their own thread?

Hoot

Got her done, Buck-a-Roo! :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: A2 Sling Swivel Add-On

Postby BayouBob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 pm

The first stud shown is to allow a 3 point sling to used on an A-2 stock. The other alternative is to use a harness over the buttstock to attach the 3 point sling. If you put a swivel loop through it then you can use it either way. A 3 point sling is not just good in combat; it is an excellant way to carry in the woods. It keeps you from having to carry all the weight of the weapon in your hands but keeps the rifle at a near ready position rather than slung over your back.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Siringo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm

BayouBob wrote:The first stud shown is to allow a 3 point sling to used on an A-2 stock. The other alternative is to use a harness over the buttstock to attach the 3 point sling. If you put a swivel loop through it then you can use it either way. A 3 point sling is not just good in combat; it is an excellant way to carry in the woods. It keeps you from having to carry all the weight of the weapon in your hands but keeps the rifle at a near ready position rather than slung over your back.
Agree --- only way I carry during hunting now. Keeps my hands free.
Siringo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 pm

BayouBob wrote:The first stud shown is to allow a 3 point sling to used on an A-2 stock. The other alternative is to use a harness over the buttstock to attach the 3 point sling. If you put a swivel loop through it then you can use it either way. A 3 point sling is not just good in combat; it is an excellant way to carry in the woods. It keeps you from having to carry all the weight of the weapon in your hands but keeps the rifle at a near ready position rather than slung over your back.

Could you provide some detail pictures of your 3 point system? I have yet to see any demonstration or pictures that make sense to me on this 3 point system. In my mind, Seeing the application in use helps me understand it better.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 am

BayouBob wrote:Could you provide some detail pictures of your 3 point system? I have yet to see any demonstration or pictures that make sense to me on this 3 point system. In my mind, Seeing the application in use helps me understand it better.

Good question, as the so-called "three-point" slings all seem to have two points of attachment to the rifle. I googled "three point sling" and got the following - http://www.google.com/search?q=three+point+rifle+sling&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS308US308&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EBA1T9jLDePjsQLl_r2lAg&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=792. Not sure this helps explain it. I use a mambo sling (similar to the Condor shown in the fourth photo down in the first column) on my 5.56, but I have a traditional "two-point" sling on my 450. Frankly, on the mambo, the purpose of the strap that runs along the rifle from the front to the rear point of attachment is a mystery.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BayouBob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 am

The part of the sling that goes along the rifle is where the adjustments happen. The front sling point and the mid point on that part of the sling are fixed and the sling slides through the rear sling loop automatically as you change the position of the rifle from carry to firing. One point sling carry is just a loop over the firing shoulder with the sling attached near the rear of the receiver and the muzzle pointed down at the side. It is the quickest to get into action but means carrying a loaded weapon with the muzzle pointed at your feet. It is the method a lot of guys in combat prefer. The three point system allows safe carry at "port arms" but is still quick to come up to the firing position. The three point sling is more complicated but it is clever.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 am

I still would like to see it in use.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles