Front Take Down Pin Installation

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Front Take Down Pin Installation

Postby Colohunter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 pm

This came up in a thread a while ago, but I couldn't find where it was. I made a quick guide for using a cheap pin to keep from losing your detent. Check out the link here:

http://theblackrifle.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-install-ar-15-front-takedown-pin.html

Let me know what you think.
Colohunter

Re: Front Take Down Pin Installation

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Way cool and very creative. You'd laugh at what I do, for the rear pin, on the experimental shop guns that get cracked open often..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Part of the fun is crawling around on the carpet with a flashlight kicking the dog out of the way trying to find something the size of a staple!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby rugersr556 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:26 pm

great vid. gives me an idea :?: the pins in my upper vise block are about a 1/2" longer than need be. couple of extra holes in one and i'll always have that tool with me. thanks ;)
"A paranoid is a guy who knows a little of what's going on. A psychotic is a guy who just found out what's going on."
William S. Burroughs
rugersr556

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:55 am

I bought the expensive tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/920248/model-1-pivot-pin-detent-installation-tool-ar-15), when I built my lower and I still managed to sproing the detent across the room (finally found it on top of a book shelf behind a potted plant). This clevis pin method works on the same principle, and assuming you get the right size clevis pin, looks like a neat solution.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby 9x19MdM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:36 pm

A tip that was just given to me a (and I can't remember from who or where, but I thought it was good enough to remember the tip)... was to use a gallon zip lock bag to "house" the lower during assembly/dis-assembly so when parts start flying the bag may catch or slow down the speeding part.
9x19MdM

Postby mnhornet » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:45 pm

That is a nifty tool. I use a small piece of wooden dowel, with a hole drilled in it. Not nearly as fancy, but still Mcgyver like.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:56 pm

9x19MdM wrote:A tip that was just given to me a (and I can't remember from who or where, but I thought it was good enough to remember the tip)... was to use a gallon zip lock bag to "house" the lower during assembly/dis-assembly so when parts start flying the bag may catch or slow down the speeding part.

I tried the bag thing and it made my efforts a lot more clumsy. Kind of a self-fullfilling prophesy. Now, I just go slow and careful. I still drop small parts occasionally, but the ensuing treasure hunt is as much my fault for working too close to the edge of the table. The worst is working over carpet, especially dark colors (heather is the worst) and ones with any degree of pile. Springs are naturally camoflaged to match carpet knap and you can't hear them. Gimme a relatively clean concrete floor sporting a Duckback coating and a shop lit up like an operating theater. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tbirdman74 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:35 pm

I really like the idea of the clevis pin, i've been making a list of all these neat little tricks i've learned here for when i build the missus an ar, she really likes my 223 varminter, but it's a little long and heavy for her.

Not to hijack the thread, but this is what happens when you take a new pistol apart near the Christmas tree...
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 pm

LOL!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles