What stock/buffer are you using?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

What stock/buffer are you using?

Postby EMB145 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:43 pm

I just bought a 16" 450 upper and mounted on my existing Olympic Arms 223 lower.

I really want to keep my collapsable stock for handling, but am considering upgrading to the Magpul CTR or UBR and putting a H2 buffer in.

Any feedback or specific examples of what you use would be appreciated. I have not shot the gun yet but am trying to reduce the recoil a bit. Oh, don't worry I'm coming from a 12 gauge where I shot 3.5 inch slugs, so it won't take much...

Thanks in advance.
EMB145

Re: What stock/buffer are you using?

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

This had been an ongoing discussion for some time. What I gather is that there are several different trains of thought. I run a bone stock factory A2 stock and buffer, for range/bench work I put a slip on limb saver recoil pad on. Some people have modified buffers and such, others run just standard equipment. You can go a far as contacting Gunny (Gunnut) to get one of his recoil less stocks. Or try running the regular equipment that you have first to see what you think. You may find that recoil is not as bad a you think. I'm sure some of the guys that have modified will chime in soon. I know Hoot has done some modifying and several others as well. There is somebody on here runNing a Makko stock too I think. Texas Sheep Dawg isusing a recoilless stock I know. He seems to enjoy it. :)

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby firehawk » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:24 pm

IMO recoil isn't all that bad, about like a 20 gauge slug. I'm a born tinkerer so I've swapped out the standard carbine buffer spring in mine for a Wolff power spring. The stock I'm using is a Magpul ACS that was already on the DPMS lower I had lying around when I bought the .450 upper. The Wolff spring did lessen the recoil slightly.... VERY slightly IMO. Made it slightly more of a "push" than anything and did stop the twang of the standard spring. Was it worth it, for $13 I guess so. I'd really like to try this spring with a hydraulic buffer and see how that works, but at around $90-$100 for the hydraulic buffer that will have to wait. Right now I am using a standard carbine buffer. I might swap the heavier Spikes powdered tungsten buffer out of my 5.56 AR and see how that works.
firehawk

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Yepper, there's a lot of info if you use the search function on the website for "recoil reduction", etc. I'm from a 12ga slugger background also, and I guess I'm just not that sensitive to the 450b recoil (seems middling level, at most), but I did add one of Hoots' "CCWS" weights to the BCG and it definitely smooths things considerably with factory ammo, at least. You should probably just go out and fire a box and see what you think about your rig's recoil situation, then read up on what's available if you want it reduced, especially Gunnut's stock mod and Hoot's CCWS.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby 9x19MdM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Shoot it before you start throwing money at it! You're doing the same thing I did when I bought my upper... trying to fix a perceived problem before experiencing it.
9x19MdM

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:08 pm

WRT heavy buffers. It is accepted knowledge that powdered tungsten has the same weight per unit volume as cast lead. If it were a solid bar, it would weight more than lead, but the powder has air in between the particles that make it less dense. Before I'd pay my hard earned money for a buffer with powdered tungsten, which you can buy for $45 per pound, I'd just cast a lead slug just a hair less than the inside diameter of the buffer and a hair short of tight fitting so it can rebound and debounce the bolt.

That's what I did in my LAR-8 buffer as the 308 barrel was slightly overgassed. It came with those sintered iron looking slugs with the rubber pads between them, like you see in most off-the-shelf buffers. Using the same conduit tubing approach like in my CCWS, I cast two solid lead slugs, then cut one into segments the same length as the stock iron ones. They got my buffer weight up from 4.6 to 6.2 ounces. Using a solid lead slug the length of all the segments and their rubber disks combined, with just one rubber disk on each end, I got it up to 7 ounces. So, you can expect an increase of either 35 or 50% depending upon which way you go.

For a small effort, you can save some serious change casting your own weight from scrap lead and a piece of left-over EMT conduit.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Hoot...AKA McGuyver... :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bigboreshooter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 am

Magpul with wolf heavy spring and endine hydraulic buffer. Carbine length. Gunnut will be testing them soon, I hope.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:Magpul with wolf heavy spring and endine hydraulic buffer. Carbine length. Gunnut will be testing them soon, I hope.

So, anybody have a rifle length Enidine buffer for Gunny to test as well? It is the off season, so the down time would not be as impacting to your shooting schedule.

Easy for me to say. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Hoot wrote:
bigboreshooter wrote:Magpul with wolf heavy spring and endine hydraulic buffer. Carbine length. Gunnut will be testing them soon, I hope.

So, anybody have a rifle length Enidine buffer for Gunny to test as well? It is the off season, so the down time would not be as impacting to your shooting schedule.

Easy for me to say. ;)

Hoot

Just went to the range today, froze my butt off but got some rounds down range!
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles