Got my Trident Upper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Got my Trident Upper

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 am

I got my 450 upper Thursday and got a chance to shoot it Friday.

Its was cold but i couldnt wait. The groups are with Factory ammo. The barrel only has 65 rounds through it so it is not fully broke in yet. I'm also guessig the 250 gr bullets arent the best weight for the 16twist barrel. So far im very satisfied with it and i'm sure the groups will only get better with time and load developement.
Left is 10 rounds and right 5 rounds. I did have some feed issues but i think they are mainly because of the Bushy mag, it seems to have plenty of spring pressure.
Wicked Hunter

Re: Got my Trident Upper

Postby mnhornet » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Looks like you'll be shooting big ragged holes before too long. It's funny that a 2" group is pretty good when you're shooting half inch bullets.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby Siringo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 pm

WH -- What are the specifics of the barrel and some related questons.

1. What is the bore diameter? .451" or .452"?
2. Why 16 inch twist instead of the 1/24 that is used by Bushmaster? Usually, 1/16 is for 45ACP and 45LC.
3. What material is the barrel made of --- Stainless or Carbon Steel?
4. Do you have a brake on it?

ORRR ---- how about some photos!!

Looks like you have something to work with and great that we have another supplier.

Congrats!!
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:36 pm

mnhornet wrote:Looks like you'll be shooting big ragged holes before too long. It's funny that a 2" group is pretty good when you're shooting half inch bullets.

It's true, only "We" would think 2" groups, with nearly 1/2" holes, are not good enough.

A little perspective is in order.

First of all, this weapon system is Not a Bench-Rest rifle.

US ARMY, National Match Standards, for a newly made auto chuckers, are in fact 2-MOA or less, of course they want better and do get it, but max std is 2-MOA. If it does not make 2 -MOA, then it becomes a reject rifle and rebuilt or scraped. Further, this is a pistol caliber and pistol bullets are said to be accurate with 4" groups at 25yds, we often see half that size at 200yds.

So, really truly, this Brand new Trident made rifle is shooting NM STD's., and it's not broken in yet and hasn't had custom loads made for it, again, yet.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Trident system is more made for +p style of ammunition, with it's 16t barrel, the bigger bullets should hum in this system and with the groups WH is already getting and these with 250gr's , this system is already rivaling any Big-Bore Bolt Gun. I can't wait to see how the 300's-325's and heavier, are going to do.

So, if you need a bench gun, then maybe this system might not be your cup of tea, but if the chips are down and you're about to be eaten, or you are tired of chasing wounded Deer, Pigs, Moose and 300yd++Elk, then I think this system will suit very well.

So, all in all, I think Wicked Hunter, has future, pleasant surprises ahead for him.

We await your Reports, sir.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:00 pm

As to answer a few more of the questions. It is a 17.75" barrel.
2. Why 16 inch twist instead of the 1/24 that is used by Bushmaster? Usually, 1/16 is for 45ACP and 45LC.

I believe this twist was used to stabalize the heavier bullets.
3. What material is the barrel made of --- Stainless or Carbon Steel?

I'm pretty sure its carbon steel if not Chrom-moly. Maybe James from Tident could answer this better.
4. Do you have a brake on it?

Its does not have a brake but instead is ported. I cant say how much the porting helps as i've never shot a 450 without any time of muzzle device. I will say though that i put 40 rounds through it yesterday and could only slightly tell i had shot it this morning when i woke up. I'm looking forward to recieve some of Tridents +p ammo as well as work up some of my own loads. I have some 250gr ftx and some 300gr xtp mags to try, along with Lil-Gun, Win296, and H110. I'll keep you all posted.
Wicked Hunter

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw a post from trident that their rigs are really set up for hot 'n heavy loads, which would fit with their somewhat different barrel specs. WC is undoubtedly right...250s are probably on the light side for your rig. Should shine brightly with the +p 300+ loads. :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Siringo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:05 pm

The 16 inch twist would do the trick for heavy longer bullets. Many, many years ago I built up a 458 American (Winchester 458 Magnum cut to 2 inches) and that was the twist that I used. Most of my shooting was with 350 grain round nose hornadys. Sure was a tack driver (big tacks).

I have been shooting 405's out of mine with the 24 inch twist, and I wished it was a little faster. 1/22 would have been better or better yet -- 1-18, but this was not the intent of the cartridge from Hornady/Bushmaster.
Siringo

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm

WH...

ill have another mag on the way to you this week hopefully. I have more on order now, cause we sold the last two this past week.
Itll be comming with a box of +p 300g hollow points.

Keep in touch kenny, im here if you have other issues, and like i said, they take a while to get sweet, but im sure that itll make you pleased after it breaks in.
ive got another one here that im breaking in myself thats having similar issues, id imagine its the mags, but regardless ill work with you...
cant wait to see pics of you and whatever you shoot with it!

one of my favorite loads is about 39 grains of 296 under a 300 xtpmag ;) ..... seems to be a modest hard hitter, that doesnt pound me, but pounds whatevers down range!
(i take no responsibility for anyone who uses the above load and bursts a gas tube, ruptures a barrel, breaks a bolt, or in any other way destroys their firearm or injures themselves. Careful load development should be used, and any load posted anywhere should be worked up to while cautiously checking pressure signs on the way.)
Congrats again brother,
James
Last edited by tridentarmory on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tridentarmory

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm

[quote="

So, if you need a bench gun, then maybe this system might not be your cup of tea, but if the chips are down and you're about to be eaten, or you are tired of chasing wounded Deer, Pigs, Moose and 300yd++Elk, then I think this system will suit very well.

So, all in all, I think Wicked Hunter, has future, pleasant surprises ahead for him.

We await your Reports, sir.

..t[/quote]

This is honestly what we built this gun for... and one of the main pillars of why i went into business.....

WH, this thing will reach its sweet spot around 300 rounds, and i expect itll last a lifetime for you.
tridentarmory

Postby Wicked Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:17 am

James,
Dont worry about the mag i got it figured out. The ammo is definetly welcome though. I took the mag apart as it seemed to have WAY to much spring tension. Inside i found about 1.5" of compressed coils. I think Bushy did this as apposed to the tabs on there earlier mags to make it legal for states that require no more than 5 rounds in a mag. I since have cut 12 of those coils off and things have gotten ALOT better. the mag will hold 6 rounds now but i intend to only load 4 or 5 to keep it cycling reliably. You've been very helpful though. It's nice knowing if i have any issues i can call and talk to you directly. I did load some XTP mags at 37.5 and 38 grains they didnt shoot to bad but i was tired, cold, and frustrated so im gonna try some more soon, and work my way up to the 39gr.
Last edited by Wicked Hunter on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wicked Hunter

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles