Got my Trident Upper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Got my Trident Upper

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Wicked Hunter wrote:Had some left over Barnes Spitfire T-EZ 250 gr. bullets left over from Muzzleloader season. I thought i'd give them a try in the 450. They shot excelent. I didn't have the camera handy, but the best 3 shot group was .625" with 38.0 gr of Lil-gun. I was only shooting 3 shot groups because i only had 15 bullets and wanted to try 5 different powder wieghts. Average F.P.S. of the 38.0 gr loads was 2269fps with only an 8fps spread. I think i found my Deer Load! I may try cranking them up a bit more but if acuracy goes south i'll be happy where im at. I wish Barnes would start selling these bullets as a component bullet so i didnt have to pay for the sabots.

If they're like the Barnes 275 gr XPB, those shot very well this past fall, but I ran out of comfortable shooting weather before I finished my load work with them.

Here's some loads and their 5-shot 100 yard groups, sighted in for 200 gr XPB.

If you have deep pockets, it's hard to beat Barnes. I shoot the 200gr XPB for deer hunting. They throw equally impressive groups.

I intend to continue where I left off, come warmer weather. It's only been in the single digits the past few mornings, so spring is a ways off yet. This is the hardest part of the year now.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Hoot wrote:
Wicked Hunter wrote:Had some left over Barnes Spitfire T-EZ 250 gr. bullets left over from Muzzleloader season. I thought i'd give them a try in the 450. They shot excelent. I didn't have the camera handy, but the best 3 shot group was .625" with 38.0 gr of Lil-gun. I was only shooting 3 shot groups because i only had 15 bullets and wanted to try 5 different powder wieghts. Average F.P.S. of the 38.0 gr loads was 2269fps with only an 8fps spread. I think i found my Deer Load! I may try cranking them up a bit more but if acuracy goes south i'll be happy where im at. I wish Barnes would start selling these bullets as a component bullet so i didnt have to pay for the sabots.

If they're like the Barnes 275 gr XPB, those shot very well this past fall, but I ran out of comfortable shooting weather before I finished my load work with them.

If you have deep pockets, it's hard to beat Barnes. I shoot the 200gr XPB for deer hunting. They throw equally impressive groups.

I intend to continue where I left off, come warmer weather. It's only been in the single digits the past few mornings, so spring is a ways off yet. This is the hardest part of the year now.

Hoot

I typically get sub MOA at 200yds with them and plan on taking an elk over 400yds with them, in a September Wyoming hunt..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:37 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:

Hoot

I typically get sub MOA at 200yds with them and plan on taking an elk over 400yds with them, in a September Wyoming hunt..

..t

Impressive grouping there. I started shooting barnes bullets last year and have been nothing but impressed.

Tim, where in Wyoming are you going elk hunting. I have an old friend that guides out there. That's a long poke btw! I'm sure you can handle it though!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:26 am

Found the camera. Here's the targets from Sunday with the Barnes 250gr SpitFire T-EZ bullets. Also a group from the RR 20" Varminter using the Barnes 55gr. TTSX shot with a clean barrel. Ended up being a 3/4" group @ 2972 fps average. Would have been a 1/2" group had I done my part.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 am

Very nice indeed!

The caliber/barrel/rifle really likes any bullet traveling 2250 +/- 2% fps, or so it seems. The next node is hard to safely attain unless you drop the bullet weight. that's why I poke around with the 185-225 stuff. Still the same frontal area, just lighter and faster.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I may try the 290gr. Spitfire TMZ bullets next. Midway Product #: 565938. My theory with the Barnes is with them being longer than any of the jacketed bullets of the same weight the lighter bullets will stabilize better in my 16 twist barrel. So far i think i may be on to something as the 250 FTX didnt group near as good. If you put the Barnes 250 next to an FTX they are almost identical except the Barnes is longer.
Wicked Hunter

Postby wildcatter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 pm

kottke_35 wrote:
Tim, where in Wyoming are you going elk hunting. I have an old friend that guides out there. That's a long poke btw! I'm sure you can handle it though!

B.

This will be an effort to get you guys thinking about Ranges, in excess of 200yds, which is a range, the Armchair Ballisticians, over on the other channel (you know the 450b Haters, or the 458socom/50beo only, out to lunch bunch), say we can't shoot past. An effort to see some real shooting at Range, for next years, 2012 Hunting Contest.

You're looking at two graphs, the first one is a representation of bullet flight paths, the second is all about the Taylor Index, using three different cartridges, all more than capable of killing Elk at 400yds.

You're going to have to pay attention, but I know you guys are up to the task. Get your eyes/head acclimated to the graphs and the following statement.

A 450BUSHMASTER
A 308 WINCHESTER
A 300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM

All speeds have been altered to what could be achieved with a 20" Barrel, in an effort to keep things, Apples to Apples, as much as is possible. In that vain, one can blow holes in all of this and they'd have to Nit-Pick, to do it, but the over-riding fact is, we can shoot past 400yds, in fact my 450b load is still supersonic at 575yds and has well more than enough Umph to decide any issue, I want to settle, at that range Too!!!..

Where as:

T1=450b w/20” barrel - 275gr Barnes @2700fps - Yes I get this speed in my personal 20" 450b
T3=308Win w/20” barrel – 150gr generic @2450fps
T5=300WinMag w/20” barrel – 180gr generic @2820fps

You'll notice that the 300mag, with it's superior BC, "Flies" past the 450b/308win. I really don't care about this, as I'm more interested in the actual range to the Elk, my laser and mill-dots will tell me where to aim.

BBUUUTTT!!!!

The Taylor, as you know, is the best indicator we have of Terminal Results, not perfect, by any means, just WAY better than Energy Numbers.

Now, who here would argue, that at 400yds, the 308win kills Elk with regular Aplomb and the 300WinMag, does so too, with even MUCH better Terminal results. BUUTTT, look at our Taylor Numbers, the 450b blows both, of the well recognized Old-Standards, right out of the water!!!!!

Last thing, to responsibly kill with the 450b, at 400yds+, wind is going to have be a consideration, read it well and shoot it right, got it?..

..t

Sorry about the Hy-Jack, Dawg, if you want to post this elsewhere, go ahead on..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles