Lets talk magazines and mods

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Lets talk magazines and mods

Postby tridentarmory » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 pm

We ship our uppers and firearms with bushy mags. No offense intended towards them, but these mags and their reliability arent helping our reputation.

Can we move some pics here regarding spring mods?

What mags do you guys have that work well?

Is there a simple link to start something regarding magpul mag mods, so they will work?

if im lightyears behind you guys, sorry... seems like this subject gets bumped in multiple threads, might deserve its own again.
tridentarmory

Re: Lets talk magazines and mods

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 am

Sig mags have been working well right out of the box. Several have moded magpul p mags by grinding the center ridge out of the front of the mag and then ” rebuilding” the follower.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 am

Here is my video on a quick mod for the factory mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29stF3I ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 am

I tried Dawg's mod to some bushy factory mags with the indented tabs...I've got to find a different tool, I guess, 'cause I could not get the tabs to squash all the way back down on mine...the edges of the tabs have a little burr from when they were punched into the sheetmetal, and the burr keeps the tab from going all the way back where it came from. I may try bending them farther in and then fatiguing the tab off of the mag...? I guess you;ve got to be smarter than the sheetmetal... :D
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

commander faschisto wrote:I tried Dawg's mod to some bushy factory mags with the indented tabs...I've got to find a different tool, I guess, 'cause I could not get the tabs to squash all the way back down on mine...the edges of the tabs have a little burr from when they were punched into the sheetmetal, and the burr keeps the tab from going all the way back where it came from. I may try bending them farther in and then fatiguing the tab off of the mag...? I guess you;ve got to be smarter than the sheetmetal... :D

Fatiguing works fine. That's what I did when I also couldn't get mine flat.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:05 pm

While blathering on my previous post, I completely lost track of my original thought (first thing to "go" is your memory, and danged if I can remember the second thing now... :D ). Anyway, here's what I recall of previous discussions on this subject:

1) Older "20-round" bushy mags with the blue follower snapped in over the green follower: Use as-is, but adjust feed lips so that the first round is held level when installed in weapon (most tend to hold tip "upward", causing feed problems) and smooth off the bottom edges of the feed lips...OR...remove blue follower, grind off the .556 "bump" on the green follower, machine/file a bit of a groove in the center of the now-flat follower, adjust feed lips for level positioning, and smooth off bottom edges of lips. These seem to have excessive number of unexpanded coils at the base of the spring, probably to limit capacity. About half of these can be removed, if legal in your area, to add an extra round but still feed reliably.

2) Current "20-round" bushy mags with the black follower: Check for level positioning of first round when installed, adjust feed lips if necessary, and smooth off the bottom edges of lips. Tabs on the front and back (narrow) edges of mag are to limit capacity, but can be squashed back flat or otherwise removed to increase capacity, if legal in your area.

3) Sig 556 "30-round" polymer mags work great right out of the box; hold 12 rounds of 450b.

...more or less...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Dang if I know, heck I use dozens of factory mags, both versions and never had any real problems. Once in a while I tweak down the lips, but that's about all. I most use GI mags, just cause I got so many. I file on the follower some, tunk down the lips about 15-20 thou and twelve rounds function as normal.

I haven't tried the sigs yet, agin, only because I have so many other suitable mags, but the sigs do get rave reviews..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Wicked Hunter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Just got a couple of Lancer L5 AWM Mags from Midway today. Looks like a slight tweek on the lips, remove the nob from the follower, and dremmel a small groove in the follower and i should be in business. I like the Lancers because they are translucent and you can see how many rounds you've got in the mag. I have used these for my .223 for a while an really like them. I'll know tomorrow if they're gonna hold up to the recoil of the 450.
Wicked Hunter

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm

Wicked...do let us know how they work...always good to have options available, and I don't remember anyone else mentioning having used that brand...give 'em a workout!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Wicked Hunter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 pm

The mag is modded and looks pretty promising. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow for a coyote hunt i'm part of. I've got 75 rounds ready to go so we'll see how they hold up. Heres some pics. Mag will hold 8 but probably wont put that many in it.
Wicked Hunter

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles