Complete AR Newb

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Complete AR Newb

Postby ColoradoKid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 am

Though I'm definitely no newb to shooting, I reluctantly announce that I am a complete novice when it comes to the AR platform. That being said... just ordered a complete factory 20" 450B kit (upper & lower). Decided on the complete kit considering this will be my first run-in with an AR style rifle.

Can't wait for the rifle to get here, but now that it's on it's way to my FFL dealer I have to finish ordering some goodys so that I can have some fun when it gets here.

Things that I know I still need (please feel free to let me know if I'm missing something):
-Scope or sight: have my eye on the Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this scope?
-Scope mount: have my eye on the Leupold Mark 4 AR mount, but not quite sure if will give me enough lift off the rifle for proper eye relief. Completely open to suggestions when it comes to a decent mount.
-Ammo: Factory Hornady 250gr... Lots of it. Will get into reloading eventually, but for now it's factory for this guy.

Rifle will be used primarily for hunting deer/elk at 200 yards and under, though I do visit the range frequently and wouldn't mind stretching it out to 300 on some paper.

Looks like a great lil community here and am super stoked to finally be a part of it!
ColoradoKid

Re: Complete AR Newb

Postby MudBug » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum.

I have no experience with that scope or mount but I can say that the factory ammo is one of the best things about the 450b.

Hopefully you will get some better answers about the scope here soon.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bigboreshooter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I set my gun up as a dangerous game rifle. Every thing on it is guaranteed not to fail. Nikon monarch African scope in a Burris pepper QD mount, yhm flip up sights. Don't be scared of putting a lower together, if you can tie your shoes you can do it. AR-15.com has lots of walk throughs on it and uppers. Factory ammo is awesome save your brass it's worth it's weight in gold.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:00 pm

ColoradoKid wrote:Though I'm definitely no newb to shooting, I reluctantly announce that I am a complete novice when it comes to the AR platform. That being said... just ordered a complete factory 20" 450B kit (upper & lower). Decided on the complete kit considering this will be my first run-in with an AR style rifle.

Can't wait for the rifle to get here, but now that it's on it's way to my FFL dealer I have to finish ordering some goodys so that I can have some fun when it gets here.

Things that I know I still need (please feel free to let me know if I'm missing something):
-Scope or sight: have my eye on the Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this scope?
-Scope mount: have my eye on the Leupold Mark 4 AR mount, but not quite sure if will give me enough lift off the rifle for proper eye relief. Completely open to suggestions when it comes to a decent mount.
-Ammo: Factory Hornady 250gr... Lots of it. Will get into reloading eventually, but for now it's factory for this guy.

Rifle will be used primarily for hunting deer/elk at 200 yards and under, though I do visit the range frequently and wouldn't mind stretching it out to 300 on some paper.

Looks like a great lil community here and am super stoked to finally be a part of it!

Oh-My-Gosh!!! Don't take the weapon when it comes in, it'll totally Hook You and everything in your safe will look and be so much lesser!!..wink

Welcome my Friend and rest assured, folks here will help you get your feet totally wet and will NOT make you feel inferior. Folks in these Parts are Super Neighborly, for we all were Chechaquo's once ourselves.

I can't wait for your experiences to be posted, believe me, you'll edify us and we'll love it..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Welcome to the campfire, CO Kid...good to see you had the wisdom to get ya a 450b...you'll be amazed by this thing. Fear not, we all share the s'mores around here (Sheepdawg is still working on that concept, though), and anything you need to know about the AR platform and 450b is here somewhere. Just aks us!

Do keep us informed of your exploits with the 450b...pics, targets, whatever...we love to hear about it. :)

You are now officially enrolled in the University of Thumper...lots to learn, with excellent instructors!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Welcome to our electronic campfire. Hope you brought hotdog buns. Wildcatter has been using the bread to bait in ducks over at the pond.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:36 pm

AR-15's are Lego's for Men, and seem to go together just about as easily.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby 9x19MdM » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Consider this your warning!
After taking possession and firing the 450 you will develop a condition called Black Rifle Disease, aka BRD :!:
Black Rifle Disease is real and the only cure for it is to move to another country, stop using deodorant and speak with a funny accent!
9x19MdM

Postby firehawk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm

9x19MdM wrote:Consider this your warning!
After taking possession and firing the 450 you will develop a condition called Black Rifle Disease, aka BRD :!:
Black Rifle Disease is real and the only cure for it is to move to another country, stop using deodorant and speak with a funny accent!

^THIS^ I bought my first AR less than a year ago. Since then I have had 4 of them although I am down to 2 right now. One is in 5.56, and the other is of course a .450. After shooting the .450 you WILL grin from ear to ear and will have come down with the dreaded Black Rifle Disease.

May God help you! :lol:
firehawk

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Hence the creation of my avatar.

-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles