Upper to lower fit

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Upper to lower fit

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

My upper has a tiny bit of "wiggle" when attached to the lower. It's slight but I'm wondering if there's a point where it needs to be addressed. I know there are those little wedges that tighten this up but at what point would that be necessary? The gun is very accurate so should I hold off until I see some accuracy loss? Thanks, guys.
Jim
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Re: Upper to lower fit

Postby MarkCO » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:48 am

The biggest issue with upper to lower fit is not accuracy, but the fit getting worse. You can machine a threaded hole through the back of the lower to tighten up the fit, but then you have to remember to back out the screw for disassembly. The Accu-Wedge will help some, but it will retard the increase, not arrest it.

If it is a takedown pin to hole issue, that can be addressed by bushings, but takes a little more work. If you are talking about a .450BM, then you probably want to figure out what is causing the looseness and either keep a close eye on it or just get it fixed.
MarkCO

Postby bushmeister » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 am

I've always been from the school of thought that if you have two metal parts with play in between them, it's bound to get worse, much like the suspension in your car. I immediately put a wedge in mine mostly to quiet it down for hunting, as furry critters don't make metal to metal clanking noises, but I also felt it would delay the inevitable wear quite a bit. I know people shoot tens of thousands of rounds out of em with the play, but for a few bucks, it was worth it to me.
bushmeister

Postby MaineBearHunter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

I put a wedge in mine, which had to be cut down quite a bit, and then used some super thin washers I had laying around I used to eliminate cylinder end shake in a single action army clone I had years ago around the front pin. It seemed to gently snug it up. Good luck!!
MaineBearHunter

Postby AbramzTnk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I bought a 3 Pack of those little AccuWedges from DPMS. It is polyvinyl and fits at the rear of the lower receiver below the buffer tube. You have to physically close the weapon now. Mine is rock solid now; No wiggle. I need one for my 5.56 lower. Want me mail you the third one? I have no use for it.....Free, I swear!

Tank
23 year soldier, ready to have fun.
TANK
AbramzTnk

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 pm

If you have some of that orange silicone rubber mat or pad, you can fashion something yourself as well. We buy it at work for mechanical dampening of equipment and I mooch some whenever possible. Also great for putting a piece under each of the the feet of your vertical compressor. I have plenty of shards if someone needs a piece. Most are either 1/4 or 5/16 inch thick.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks, guys for the info and the offers. I really only can notice it if I try to wiggle the top and lower pretty hard. The accuracy is good and there's definitely no rattling going on. I think I'll get a wedge at the next gun show I'm going to in May. I need a new/old Mauser stock too. I have a Mauser 98 that I got that someone had started to sporterize and messed up the stock pretty bad so I do need to get to a show and get some goodies. The list is only just beginning!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I bought the tactical innovations for my lower build project. It comes with an upper receiver tensioning screw built into the receiver. I haven't had to make any adjustments to mine - fits tight as delivered. The link is http://tacticalinc.com/t15™-forged-precision-machined-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1080.html(sorry, couldn't make the URL thingy work to make this a hot link, although it looks like part of it is.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby 9x19MdM » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I bought the tactical innovations for my lower build project. It comes with an upper receiver tensioning screw built into the receiver. I haven't had to make any adjustments to mine - fits tight as delivered. The link is http://tacticalinc.com/t15™-forged-precision-machined-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1080.html(sorry, couldn't make the URL thingy work to make this a hot link, although it looks like part of it is.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15%E2%84%A2 ... -1080.html
9x19MdM

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 pm

If you want a slightly tougher "dog in the fight", they also make a lower milled from a solid billet.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles