Cleaning the Thumper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Cleaning the Thumper

Postby ColoradoKid » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 am

Just wanted some opinions on proper care of the 450 and what all is involved. As you all know, I am an AR novice so any and all advice is appreciated.

My assumption is that you clean it just like any other semi auto rifle, but with a 45 cal brush and jag with patches, but how often should it be cleaned and how in the heck do you clean the gas tube? Seems a little more complex than my bolt actions lol.

CoKid
ColoradoKid

Re: Cleaning the Thumper

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I use break cleaner down the gass tube. It's not necesary every time you clean it, but it also wont hurt it.
Wicked Hunter

Postby 9x19MdM » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:10 pm

There's also a brush that's made for it.
9x19MdM

Postby MarkCO » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Most of us "Gun" folk are either mechanically inclined or OCD...that leads to a LOT of extra cleaning.

For my ARs...once every 1000 rounds, Gunslick Foam goes down the bore and the gas tube. It sits for 1/2 hour. The BCG gets disassembled and put in the Ultra-Sonic for 20 minutes. Then the gas tube and inside the upper gets a shot of brake parts cleaner and a shot of compressed air. The bore gets 2 dry patches and then re-lube and shoot 1000 more rounds. Actual time per 1K rounds, maybe 10 minutes of actual time working.
MarkCO

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Yep, don't overdo it, especially if you have a chromed chamber and bore. What is described above is probably about right, especially since 450b shooters are unlikely to be putting thousands of rounds down the tube in a short period of time, like a lot of 556/223 get used.

That gas tube brush looks interesting...I may have to try one of those.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

YouTube is your friend, search cleaning the AR15..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Cheaper than Dirt sells the real long pipe cleaners for the gas tube. I have started using the 45 caliber boresnake and just run through there after a shoot then once a month take the AR down to inspect and clean as needed. But I like the idea of putting a BCG in an ultra sonic. I might reconsider getting one now.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:52 pm

I second the brake cleaner. Just put the little red straw into the gas tube, seal around the mouth of the gas tube with my thumb and finger, and press the aerosol can button. Woosh!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Am I the only weirdo here... I've never cleaned the gas tube or had to, however, I am picky about my powder choices. Guess maybe someday I will have to buuttt..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Well, now that I think about it, I suppose the gas tube could be considered "self cleaning". Every round fired blows it out. However, this would seem to make the chamber "self dirty-ing"...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles