Weakest link?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Weakest link?

Postby TacoTaco » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 pm

So I've been lurking around this site for quite awhile now, and the other day I came across something that really intrigued me. Those Trident Armory 450's are throwing a 300gr XTP @2500 fps. That's a whole lot of horsepower right there. My question is, can a standard Bushy .450 do that as well? Right now I'm loading the XTP's to the max load listed by Hornady (32.2 gr Lil Gun) and that's netting me around 1900fps. I'd love to be able to bump that up to at least 2200 fps or so, but would LOVE to push them at 2500.

So I guess what Im asking is, what is the weakest link of the rifle? My guess is the bolt....there's just not a whole lot of meat around those lugs. Will that bolt fail before I start seeing pressure signs on my brass? Can I obtain a bolt made of a different/stronger material that can handle the increased pressures?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
TacoTaco

Re: Weakest link?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 am

I see pressure signs on my brass and alot of other guys will confirm this. Wildcatter is the top number one authority on the 450 Bushmaster. He is the creator and King Julien. We are just the lemurs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Weakest link?

Postby FrankSoCal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Believe that no village is doing without with my continued presence elsewhere BUT....I'm loading the 250gr Hornady XTP with 37.9gr of Lil'Gun, which all the old hands are claiming to be able to get 2200fps with the 16"bbl. Shoots better than I can and no excessive recoil or neg signs on my brass.

Frank
FrankSoCal

Return to AR15 Style Rifles