magpul pmag. Feed?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: magpul pmag. Feed?

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 am

FWIW, I'm sure you all are aware that this tilt is not just a plastic mag problem. Some metal ones also suffer from this malady. In their case, that's where the oft-referenced "tweaking the lips" comes from. Not sure how you tweak plastic though. I'd be seriously looking at how much spring tension you had and whether you could get by with less, because it's obviously strong enough to force those lips apart more toward the front when the mag is fully populated. That's the challenge of re-tasking.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bangotwango » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm

7 in my 20rd mod mag feed like a dream. Only issue is the bolt doesn't lock open after the last pull. No spring work no lip work just grind the follower and the mag housing in the front. Not sure why peeps can't just look at it and see what needs to be done.
bangotwango

Postby firehawk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Well seeing that I assemble/fabricate commercial bakery equipment and NOT AR magazines I just "winged it" and cut some off the spring. :mrgreen:

Counting the spring loop that was wrapped around the base plate I cut 3 "loops" off the spring. The rounds still angle up but there is less pressure against the first round. I've fed all 10 rounds with my finger and it appears there is still sufficent pressure on the last 2-3 rounds. It will have to wait until next weekend to try this out.
firehawk

Postby Hic28 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am

It would be pretty cool for someone to make a pmag mod tutorial and have it stickied. Once i get mine in i'll try and make a tutorial.

Heres a place that has decent prices on pmags. https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/magpu ... blk-4.html
"An armed society is a polite society"
Hic28

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 am

bangotwango wrote: . . . Only issue is the bolt doesn't lock open after the last pull. . . .

I am having the same problem with my pmags - don't lock open after last round. I am going to try them on another lower and see if I have the same problem.

Anyone know why this is happening and what to do about it. It must have something to do with the bolt release (just guessing) and how it "hooks" into the pmag, but I really don't understand how this works, when it locks open after the last round. How does it know that the magazine is empty?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby firehawk » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
bangotwango wrote: . . . Only issue is the bolt doesn't lock open after the last pull. . . .

I am having the same problem with my pmags - don't lock open after last round. I am going to try them on another lower and see if I have the same problem.

Anyone know why this is happening and what to do about it. It must have something to do with the bolt release (just guessing) and how it "hooks" into the pmag, but I really don't understand how this works, when it locks open after the last round. How does it know that the magazine is empty?

The bolt hits the back of the magazine follower doesn't it?
firehawk

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am

Yes, in the area indicted by the arrow.

The follower in the image is a single stack 450 bushmaster one, but all AR15 mag followers, regardless of caliber work that way.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby firehawk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:00 pm

A little updated info. I managed to get out and try out the Pmag after I had removed 3 coils from the spring. It fed fine, no double feeds today. I've managed to run about all the 160 rounds I have on hand, so further testing will have to wait until I buy some more ammo.

The cheapest I've found was at Palmetto State Armory at $23.99/box for Hornady. They're sold out as of right now. :x

UPDATE: Palmetto has Hornady .450 ammo back in stock as of 3/17. Still is $23.99/box of 20 rounds. Looks like I'll be ordering another 80 rounds. :roll:
firehawk

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:22 pm

firehawk wrote:. . . Palmetto has Hornady .450 ammo back in stock as of 3/17. Still is $23.99/box of 20 rounds. Looks like I'll be ordering another 80 rounds. :roll:

If you are not reloading, I will buy your once fired brass for 25 cents each and pay the shipping (USPS flat rate should be cheapest). PM me at your convenience. I have started a thread on this subject, but so far have only had one taker.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles