.452 Thumper Bullets

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

.452 Thumper Bullets

Postby FrankSoCal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Anyone else but Hornady making .452 250gr or heavier bullets? Being a resident of California I'm going to have to look for no lead as it seems that most of the hog areas are in Condor Country. Going further north to get away from these areas seems to involve a lot of $$$$$ and I'm retired. Not crying, just trying to figure out how to "getter done". Some less expensive bullets for plinking and coyotes and such would be a big plus.

Frank
FrankSoCal

Re: .452 Thumper Bullets

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm

FrankSoCal wrote:Anyone else but Hornady making .452 250gr or heavier bullets? Being a resident of California I'm going to have to look for no lead as it seems that most of the hog areas are in Condor Country. Going further north to get away from these areas seems to involve a lot of $$$$$ and I'm retired. Not crying, just trying to figure out how to "getter done". Some less expensive bullets for plinking and coyotes and such would be a big plus.

Frank

Consider the Barnes 275gr XPB. They are all copper and shoot like a dream. Pricey, but effective. Be mindful of velocity at the range you intend them to impact at if you want them to expand. They also make a 200gr that is accurate and fast. They are longer than their lead cored equivalents since copper is lighter than lead and the have a generous hollow point.

When you can find them in stock, General Bullet makes a similar all copper bullet for a slightly lower price.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Hoot wrote:
FrankSoCal wrote:Anyone else but Hornady making .452 250gr or heavier bullets? Being a resident of California I'm going to have to look for no lead as it seems that most of the hog areas are in Condor Country. Going further north to get away from these areas seems to involve a lot of $$$$$ and I'm retired. Not crying, just trying to figure out how to "getter done". Some less expensive bullets for plinking and coyotes and such would be a big plus.

Frank

Consider the Barnes 275gr XPB. They are all copper and shoot like a dream. Pricey, but effective. Be mindful of velocity at the range you intend them to impact at if you want them to expand. They also make a 200gr that is accurate and fast. They are longer than their lead cored equivalents since copper is lighter than lead and the have a generous hollow point.

When you can find them in stock, General Bullet makes a similar all copper bullet for a slightly lower price.

Hoot

Just a thought Hoot. Expansion is only important in sub-calibers as our caliber is already bigger, in diameter, than a 30cal. ever gets, after expansion and we don't have the penetration problems an expanded 30cal bullet has..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

FrankSoCal wrote:. . . Some less expensive bullets for plinking and coyotes and such would be a big plus.

The Hornady 225 gr FTX bullets are about half the price of the 250's. There is several relevant threads - http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11145&p=29469&hilit=hornady+225#p29469 and http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4966&p=16959&hilit=hornady+225#p16959 for example. I bought about 200 blems when Midway had them on sale, but have yet to reload any.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to AR15 Style Rifles