No shots, No Hogs

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

No shots, No Hogs

Postby AbramzTnk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Just an update on my Hog Hunt last weekend.....that's all it was, was a HUNT. There was hog sign everywhere. Had a doe and two yearlings come within 15 feet from my position on the ground on the first night. We baited with corn and apples the next day, but it appears that the hogs aren't coming out until really late at night or really early in the a.m. I did hear one stripping bark off of dead fall looking for grubs in the swamp, but it was already dark and I don't have night vision. I stalked him with my 1911 and flashlight, but could never get close enough to see him.

Tank
23 year soldier, ready to have fun.
TANK
AbramzTnk

Re: No shots, No Hogs

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:22 pm

hey Tank, where abouts were you hunting in SC?

I was down by Kingstree first part of January.
Al in Mi

Postby AbramzTnk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 pm

My Father has a farmer friend down in Ulmer (near Allendale). He farms 120,000 acres and the hogs destroyed his peanuts last year.

Tank
TANK
AbramzTnk

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm

So, hogs learn and adapt just like deer then?

Some years up here, they get smart after opening day and vanish until dark. Especially if the rut isn't in full swing.

Looking at various videos, I thought there would be these huge herds or hogs, running everywhere with impunity, both day and night.

Now I realize that's as silly as expecting deer in the wild to behave like the ones that are raised and fed on a hunting preserve like you see rich people hunting on the Outdoors Channel. My dad and I watch that and just shake our heads.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:57 am

But at least you got to go!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:26 am

Hoot, the thriller is running them with hounds, turning loose the catch dogs (Pitts), then going in and slipping a knife up under their front leg.

You've heard the term squeal like a pig?? Well you ain't heard nothing remotley close when those Pitts latch on.
Al in Mi

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 am

Al in Mi wrote:Hoot, the thriller is running them with hounds, turning loose the catch dogs (Pitts), then going in and slipping a knife up under their front leg.

You've heard the term squeal like a pig?? Well you ain't heard nothing remotley close when those Pitts latch on.

I'd like to do a dog hunt with Brian PIGMAN Quaca or the boys from Bayed Solid! Pricey though, sure looks like a blast!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 am

AbramzTnk wrote:Just an update on my Hog Hunt last weekend.....that's all it was, was a HUNT. There was hog sign everywhere. Had a doe and two yearlings come within 15 feet from my position on the ground on the first night. We baited with corn and apples the next day, but it appears that the hogs aren't coming out until really late at night or really early in the a.m. I did hear one stripping bark off of dead fall looking for grubs in the swamp, but it was already dark and I don't have night vision. I stalked him with my 1911 and flashlight, but could never get close enough to see him.

Tank

I suppose, this is why it's called Hunting, but it could be described as Gathering, not unlike what Farmers do. But the truth is we need to kill as many of them as we can, even if you have to let them lay and rot. We are actually faced with distinction of our habitat and the critters that inhabit it.

I saw a TV program, wherein they described one female can have more than several broods with ten-twenty per brood. That they come into heat every two months and that one female can have more than one hundred off-spring, including the births of the children, grand children, and great children, per year. The babies are ready to breed in two months, after birth.

This is a Big-Time Problem. A ton of farmers have been driven out of business, from the Pig-Bomb. This problem threatens our food chain. I say, if they eat our food, they just became my food.

I think, we'll come to hunting Pigs, more so than deer, out of necessity..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby AbramzTnk » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Correction to earlier post....one too many zeros...he farms 12,000 acres. Sorry.

Tank
TANK
AbramzTnk

Postby bigboreshooter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Hoot, the thriller is running them with hounds, turning loose the catch dogs (Pitts), then going in and slipping a knife up under their front leg.

I too have had the chance to chase with hounds and have a Pitt capture. I will never forget the look in that boars eye when I stabbed him. He shook that Pitt off of his face with one flick and turned on me like white on rice served on a paper plate in a blizzard. I jumped around a tree till them red bones got em busy and the Pitt got a hold of his snout again and stitched him like a Singer sewing machine. I have pics up on Facebook for any of you on there. Now I want to shoot one even bigger.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Return to AR15 Style Rifles