9 rd mags

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 9 rd mags

Postby oscar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 pm

do the sig magazines have to be modified?
oscar

Postby bushmeister » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:57 pm

no.
bushmeister

Postby xxInfidelxx » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:28 pm

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=166819&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D
iTac mag, think they make the Sig magazine but no Sig label on the mag.
xxInfidelxx

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:36 pm

xxInfidelxx wrote:http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=166819&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D
iTac mag, think they make the Sig magazine but no Sig label on the mag.

2 for $32 nice find!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby helidude350 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 pm

have 2 bush 5rd mags and a bush 9rd mag.
buffed the feedlips on the first 5rd mag due to deep scratching of the cases and it works fine.
havent tried the 2nd 5rd yet.
wasnt impressed with the 9 rd mag (didnt shoot it), used the spring and follower ( had to mod it slightly to slide smoothly but not much) in the sig mag and it works great.
ordered a couple 50 beowulf mags from alexander arms to try those ( only $24 each)
havent yet modded a 20rd magpul.
got some of those blue follower thingys but not impressed.
havent tried an unmodified sig mag yet.
pending outcome of the alexander mags, i may try ordering just the followers from bush or alexander.
helidude350

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:57 pm

IIRC the feed lips are slightly farther apart on the .458S/.50B mags. That is why they can run the 90 round MGW drums without modification to the feed tower.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby ryr8828 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:44 am

If I hadn't bought the sig mags I would have been one unhappy camper when I shot my .450 for the first time. The Bushy mag wouldn't feed, I consider it junk.
The sig mags worked great.
ryr8828

Postby xxInfidelxx » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:21 pm

I only have the 5rd that came with the upper. so far I have 40 rds through it and never had an issue with feeding. Do need to pick up some sig mags or try to mod a Pmag to work. Anyone do a tutorial on the Pmag mod yet?
xxInfidelxx

Postby thatguy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:17 pm

xxInfidelxx wrote:I only have the 5rd that came with the upper. so far I have 40 rds through it and never had an issue with feeding. Do need to pick up some sig mags or try to mod a Pmag to work. Anyone do a tutorial on the Pmag mod yet?

There is a post w/ numerous pages on converting the Pmags around.. I have converted about 4 20 rd mags and it got easier after the first 2 or 3..

I used a bench grinder to remove the follower ridge. I did not rebuild it with JB Weld though - Although I may try that soon so it will hold that first round right in the middle.

To remove the ridge on the front of the mag i first tried a dremal type tool from each end but that only got in about 1" or less... I ended up buying a small, narrow file that was much easier to knock down that ridge.. 10 minutes of filing and its pretty much knocked down..

Some ppl have just cut off the red tip off the hornady ammo and I think they fit in the mag without removing the front ridge then.

At first I did not use the nylon screw on the front of the follower - but without it the follower will tilt and jam.. Right off I cant remember if i used 1 or 2 nylon screws on the follower..

One suggestion i have is to buy different color mags for your 450B than other calibers.. I ended up with tan/coyote..

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby BayouBob » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 am

I have been using the Sig mags and they seemed to work fine. I learned a lesson about them this week. I left mine loaded in the pouches on my rifle case for several months. Evidently the spring pressure forced the top of the mags to swell just a little bit and the mags were real hard to push into the well. When I chambered the first round the bolt didn't slam all the way home. I punched the forward assist and the bolt felt like it locked up. Do you know how loud an AR hammer falling without ignition sounds to an 8 point at 30 yards on a still morning in the swamps? From what I could tell the lips had spread just enough to put too much pressure on the next round and the bolt dragged going across the top of it. I know that is why P-Mags come with a top cover to keep the lips from expanding; just didn't think about it with my 450.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles