First issue with the Thumper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

First issue with the Thumper

Postby ColoradoKid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 pm

So, was at the range yesterday and my bolt carrier got stuck at a position just a fraction of an inch before the round. Pulled the trigger and click, no bang. So i dropped the mag and and wracked back the carrier and the round didnt eject. So i wracked her forward again and it got stuck in the same position again, but this time stuck stuck. Finally gave it a REALLY good yank and the carrier came back and this time ejected the round. Worked fine after I cleared the jam, but it does have me a little concerned. Any idea as to what might cause this?

Nothing appears to be out of place, but i have had an occasional stove pipe due to some issue with the ejection pin.
ColoradoKid

Re: First issue with the Thumper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Sounds like grit, carbon or dirt or powder buildup on the bolt or in the lockup area of the chamber. Maybe time to disassemble the bolt and give it a good cleaning and also the lockup area of the chamber?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 am

Give the extractor and ejector on the bolt a good look, both for odd scraping (extractor) and function (both). Look closely, at the bolt lugs and barrel extension lugs for signs of an unintended collision. Otherwise, clean the crap out of everything. Everyone encounters the rare, mysterious hang-up. It's only when that becomes less random, that you need to be concerned. Post a focused pic of the case head and rim if you still have it segregated from the other spent cases. Ditto on any signs of the aforementioned unexpected collision. We love to mull over pics as they speak volumes and in a universal language. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:58 am

Clean that little channel where the charging handle slides as well as what they said, sometimes debris can get in there.
bushmeister

Postby ColoradoKid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I just cleaned her about 20 rounds ago, but I do admit that I may need to pay a little more attention to detail during cleaning.

Looking for recommendations on cleaning preferences.

I've been using a bore snake after range time between cleanings. When it comes down to a real cleaning I use bore tech eliminator in the bore and hoppe's 9 on all the action parts. Scrubbed with a nylon brush then a wire brush for those stubborn areas.

Should probably soak the bolt/carrier, but need to know which solvent is best for doing so? What oil and on what parts? What tools for cleaning the chamber? I've watched numerous "ar15 cleaning" videos and all of them seem to vary slightly.

How do you guys roll?
ColoradoKid

Postby gunnut » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 am

pay special attention to the locking lugs in the barrel extention and bolt. Difficult to clean properly.
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 am

All of the above, but the most prevelent problems can be laid at the feat of cleaning/lubing and MUST be done before the first range day.

So, make youtube your best friend..

..t

in three parts.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpBJSgCvqg
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Did the brass show any signs of being dented or malformed?

Just a thought.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby helidude350 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Also check your magazines and inspect the rounds new from the box.
I have found issues with both.
I have found a few rounds with defects straight from the box.
I have also had some issues with mags too full, making the second round ( which should really be the first)
dragging on the bottom of the bolt carrier.
I have also had the rounds riding too high, nose up, or rim up
and cause a jam.
helidude350

Postby firehawk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 pm

helidude350 wrote:I have also had some issues with mags too full, making the second round ( which should really be the first)
dragging on the bottom of the bolt carrier.
I have also had the rounds riding too high, nose up, or rim up
and cause a jam.

The exact problem I experienced with my modified 30 round Pmag first time out, rounds nose up. Problem was solved with removing 3 coils from the magazine spring. Too much spring pressure was causing the second round to be dragged along with the first when loaded with 10 rounds.

firehawk

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles