New member, new upper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New member, new upper

Postby jmontgomery » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Hello,
Just got a 450 Bushmaster upper to go on my Stag lower. This is going to be my hog gun, and probably be used for deer. Any advise on what optic to get?
jmontgomery

Re: New member, new upper

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:53 pm

jmontgomery wrote:Hello,
Just got a 450 Bushmaster upper to go on my Stag lower. This is going to be my hog gun, and probably be used for deer. Any advise on what optic to get?

Welcome aboard J.

Since it's going to be your hog gun, what optics did you use for hogs before acquiring your 450b? The choice of optics seems to be wide and varies per individual taste and the reputation of the particular scope under consideration, for toughness under recoil. If you'll be shooting real close all the time, perhaps a red dot, holo sight, or open sights is all you need. I hate wearing my glasses when I hunt, so I have a scope capable of being dialed down to 3x for close-in work. Even at 3x I suck at picking up running game with a scope close-in, despite shooting with both eyes open. If I can catch them standing, walking or can get them to stop running with a maaah sound or a whistle, they're fair game. Otherwise, I pass on them for another day. No hogs up this way, so I don't know if you can get them to stop and look, by making sounds.

I'm sure plenty of folks will wade in with their opinions as well.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Welcome! anything that will handle the recoil and plenty of eye relief. :D Try this thread: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1180
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby jmontgomery » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 pm

I've been using the open sights on a lever gun. I've been surfing and found a Nikon 1-4 power scope that looks like it will work perfect.
jmontgomery

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 am

jmontgomery wrote:I've been using the open sights on a lever gun. I've been surfing and found a Nikon 1-4 power scope that looks like it will work perfect.

Nikon makes good scopes and their warranty/customer service is top shelf. Two of my scopes are Nikon.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:27 am

Welcome to the board. I too am trying to pick out some optics
For my 20" 450 upper and started a thread here.
Look for thread " Optics Considereations for the 450 Bushmaster ".
Right now I am leaning towards a Nikko Stirling or a Pine Ridge
(Cabelas), muzzle loading scope or the lever action scope by Cabelas, also
A Pine Ridge, for a 45-70 lever action. But I am still looking at others.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jmontgomery » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I found the Nikon M223 1-4power on sale for $220. I went ahead and ordered one, I'll tell you guys how it holds up.
I'm ready to try this thumper out.
jmontgomery

Postby HillBilly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:47 pm

You should have run while you had the chance... There is no 12 step program to get off the .450 :twisted:
If you build it they will come, If I build it... I'll take the damn thing home!
HillBilly

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:10 pm

HillBilly wrote:You should have run while you had the chance... There is no 12 step program to get off the .450 :twisted:

LOL!!! Yeah, I use the loaded 450b cartridge, with a hypodermic needle installed into the tip of the bullet. This home brew contraption is used to shoot-up the Cordite, then to even try to get off the habit, which is never successful, one must partake in copious amounts of Group Therapy..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby jmontgomery » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:17 pm

Put the upper on my Stag lower w/Bill Springfield trigger job. Put it on my cleaning vise on the bench. Mounted the scope mount(waiting on a scope). Just stared at it for a while.

Is that wrong :roll:
jmontgomery

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles