Please Help--shooting problem

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Please Help--shooting problem

Postby TacoTaco » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Gents,
I've been having a problem for as long as I can remember, but it's finally come to the point where I'm fresh out of ideas. Here's my issue: For years I've had this problem where my groups tend to favor the left side of my point of aim. For example, last weekend I was out at the range, and printed a nice .65" 5 shot group out of my savage .308. Fantastic group (For me), but it was about 1.75" to the left of my point of aim. So I adjust my scope 7 clicks to the right (1 click=.25") and repeat the string. Same result. Still 1.75" to the left. I tried again and again, with the same result. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't adjust this out with the scope. To make it more frustrating, it doesn't always happen....can be hit or miss.

What I know:
* Not isolated to any specific gun. Happens on my Savage, my .450, etc etc. It's something Im doing, not the rifle.
* I havent reached the end of my windage adjustability. Still have plenty more to go.
* Happens when shooting from the bench and prone.
* My groups are fine. Average .9-1.1" with the .450, .75-.85" with the Savage.

The only thing I can think of is maybe my cheek weld isn't consistent, but wouldn't that effect my groups, not just the point of impact???

Anyway, if you help me out I'd appreciate it. This has been plaguing me for years and Im sick of it!!

Thanks!
TacoTaco

Re: Please Help--shooting problem

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Check pm

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby gunnut » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 am

try closing one eye or an eye patch.
gunnut

Postby mnhornet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 am

There is a target out there, sorry don't know what it's called. It shows possible form errors by where you impact the target. If you are hitting left, you may need more trigger finger. I'm sure someone here knows of this target.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby bushmeister » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Could you be flinching, or anticipating the recoil? To troubleshoot, maybe have someone else shoot it and determine whether it's the gun/scope or the shooter, then you know which to work on. I know if I don't run through my mental checklist before every shot, I'll flinch, and it goes to the left when I do... unless I'm in the lead sled.
bushmeister

Postby AbramzTnk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Sounds like trigger control. We had the "Experts" come and give the PMI (Preliminary Marksmanship Instruction) before our last range and lots of thing the Army teaches has changed. NOW you're encouraged to use the mag and mag-well as support, and it is left upto the shooter as to how much finger...upto the 3rd section/joint...to place on the trigger when firing. As for me, I shoot both pistol and rifle with the smallest portion of the tip of the finger on the trigger. You may want to consider in investing (about 25 bucks online) in the Magpul MIAD (Mission Adaptable) grip which allows 3 different backstraps and two different finger-side inserts to customize the grip to your hand. A larger diameter grip may just fix it. If all else fails, use Kentucky windage and adjust your POA. ;)

Tank
23 year soldier, ready to have fun.
TANK
AbramzTnk

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 pm

I have that little target thing - most commonly, when you are left (for a right hand shooter) you are anticipating the round going off and pushing the muzzle - this is more common with a pistol. However, if you have adjusted the scope, this should correct for that on the subsequent rounds. You many be using too much finger on the trigger, which would also pull the gun to the left. Again this is more of a problem with a pistol.

Could it be an dominant eye problem? Try a patch over your "off" eye. If the off eye is dominant and you are shooting with both eyes open, then you may not be lining up properly on the target. I am left eye dominant and right handed and I shoot most accurately with my left (weak side) hand, even though I am right handed. Here is a link that explains the phenomenon and some tests you can use to determine if you are "cross-dominant" (not a real medical term, as far as I know) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Umm...are you using the same scope on different rifles? If so, it could be a problem with the reticle cam tube inside the scope...it can, though very rarely, become disconnected from the threads of the adjustment knobs for some reason, and the tube will not actually move in that direction, even though you turn the adjustment knob....???? Jus' wonnerin'
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby TacoTaco » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:00 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Umm...are you using the same scope on different rifles? If so, it could be a problem with the reticle cam tube inside the scope...it can, though very rarely, become disconnected from the threads of the adjustment knobs for some reason, and the tube will not actually move in that direction, even though you turn the adjustment knob....???? Jus' wonnerin'

Nope, multiple scopes. Problem is more noticeable on my higher mag scopes vs my ACOGs/Aimponts. Might just be because my groups are much better at higher mag.
TacoTaco

Postby TacoTaco » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I have that little target thing - most commonly, when you are left (for a right hand shooter) you are anticipating the round going off and pushing the muzzle - this is more common with a pistol. However, if you have adjusted the scope, this should correct for that on the subsequent rounds. You many be using too much finger on the trigger, which would also pull the gun to the left. Again this is more of a problem with a pistol.

Could it be an dominant eye problem? Try a patch over your "off" eye. If the off eye is dominant and you are shooting with both eyes open, then you may not be lining up properly on the target. I am left eye dominant and right handed and I shoot most accurately with my left (weak side) hand, even though I am right handed. Here is a link that explains the phenomenon and some tests you can use to determine if you are "cross-dominant" (not a real medical term, as far as I know) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance.

I put the trigger right behind my fingernail. Too little??? As for eye dominance, I'm right eye for sure.
TacoTaco

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles