Top 5 out of the box modifications

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Top 5 out of the box modifications

Postby hip wader » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello All. been lurking in the shadows reading the board and researching for my first AR purchase. Ended up going with the thumper after lots of back and forth. It finally arrived last night and I am anxious to get some rounds through it. As an AR newbie I am curious what some of you more experienced guys would say are the top three or five mods/changes/additions you have made to your 450 right out of the box. I know this is subjective and everyone will want to set up their gun depending on what they plan to use it for, I am talking about "Must do" things that you start with. I know to begin I am going to take of that A2 stock, for some reason I don't like the way it fits my body. Where would you recommend I go from there?

Thanks for all the info you guys have put together on this board. I've learned a ton already.

-w
hip wader

Re: Top 5 out of the box modifications

Postby bigboreshooter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Wolf heavy spring, hydraulic buffer, magazine feeding, I like magpul furniture.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Welcome to the campfire.

As you said, everybody had their own preference when it comes to modifications. I for one can not stand the factory grip and trigger guard. That's the only thing that has been changed on my gun. It shoots so good without any mods. Two of the biggest things you will probably see done here is a new stock (RECOILLESS) and a muzzle brake from Ross. Neither of which are necessary but help to make a more enjoyable shooting session. I just slip on a winchester (limbsaver) from walmart recoil pad if I'm going to shoot it a bunch. I may eventually change the trigger but I use mine for more hunting than shooting and I can't complain too much.

enjoy and welcome to the addiction.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby gunnut » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Clean it, Lube it, double check the set screws on the gas block, Good to go! ;)
gunnut

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 pm

I see our addiction is spreading...there must be a Federal program of some kind to deal with it? Welcome to the electronic campfire! There are so many add-on "widgets" out there for the AR platform, I sometimes wonder if there are ARs that their owners can barely lift to their shoulders for all the doo-dads they've hung on their rifles. I don't know about a top five items, but you're off to a good start with a stock that fits you properly, and a Ross muzzle brake. I also use SIG 556 polymer 20-rd mags for higher capacity needs. Just like painting a picture, the real trick is knowing when to stop... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Ross Schuler muzzle brake
Noonan Recoil-Less A1 Stock
JP reduced power trigger group springs.
Stone and polish the trigger hammer.
Stark Grip.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:35 am

I wanted mine to be more of a hunter model, so I went with

1. Bill Springfield trigger job
2. recoilless stock with limbsaver buttpad
3. good sling
4. Camo hardware/camo neoprene cover for handguard and accuwedge (for quieting purposes)
5. Leupold Scope with butler creek flip up caps (actually should have been #1, but didn't feel like retyping)
bushmeister

Postby hip wader » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 am

excellent advice everyone, thanks for the info!

-w
hip wader

Postby BayouBob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Try the multi-configuration grip from Command Arms. I has 3 front straps and 3 back straps all in rubber. You can really get a hand filling comfortable grip. I like them better than the Magpul or Hogue and have put them on all my AR's. You also need a rock solid scope mount like the Burris PEPR or the new Nikon or Stoner or the extra high steel rings from Millett. The felt recoil on Thumper isn't bad but it will knock a scope around if it isn't real secure.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BayouBob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Oh, and Bushmiester mentioned a sling. Try the New Kodiak from Limbsaver. It is a non-stretching rubber pad with a great rubber grip to hold while the rifle is shouldered. It just became my favorite sling for conventional carry.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles