New in VA

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New in VA

Postby the_mad_rshn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Hello gents,

I am new to the AR concept. My first AR is a home-built-from-scratch 6.5 Grendel which I finished about a month and a half ago. I like the rifle a lot and I started to think of getting its big brother - 50 Beowulf. Unfortunately the barrels are not sold separately and I do want to build another one from scratch since I already had most of the parts ready including a stripped upper receiver. So finally I settled on the Thumper. I did a research and actually now I like it way better than the 50B. I am planning to use my own bullets. I have several molds for long colt and the 45-70 that I am planning to size and use in my soon to be gun. I just ordered the barrel/bolt from MGI (spelling), mid length YHM handguard. I will be sharing the lower with the 6.5 Grendel for now. The upper for this build is YHM flat-top. I am planning to use a low power scout scope setup for hunting as well as removable open sights for plinking. I already ordered 4 boxes of ammo. I am a Lee guy and it is unfortunate for me there is no die set from these guys. I also called and they said there are no plans to make 'em. I guess I will have to go with H-dy die set. I do not want to shell out 150 bucks for a custom Lee's set. I know I will need to enlarge the ejection port and I also plan on customizing existing .223 mags for feeding my new baby.
I found lots of useful information here. Thanks a lot to all for contributing.

Cheers,
Mad
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Re: New in VA

Postby MudBug » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Welcome.

As I read that you were gonna build your own I thought "Ok, we will need to point out all the things he needs to be aware of, like the ejection port", but then I finished reading and realized that nope, you have it all covered.

We have several cast bullet guys here that can share what they have learned.

The Hornady Dies are actually really nice. Not perfect, but good quality.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Return to AR15 Style Rifles