What stock are you using on your 450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

What stock are you using on your 450?

Postby Blasternank » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:37 am

I'm curious as to which stock you are using and why? Can Magpul Moe's withstand the recoil? Fixed stocks? Collapsible? Recoil reducing stocks like CAA? I'd like to know.

Thanks.
Blasternank

Re: What stock are you using on your 450?

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:35 am

I am using the Mako Shock Gl "recoil reducing" stock. It has an internal spring that is supposed to reduce felt recoil. I had to add a "limbsaver" type pad to the stock, as the hard rubber "tire tread" end plate was about to permanently imprint itself on my shoulder (OK, I exaggerate). Anyway, I got acceptable felt recoil after adding the limbsaver (actually, and SOG product), but no better than the standard collapsible stock with a pad that I had been using. But it looks cool.

Mako Gl Shock stock - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MAKGL-SHOCK
SOG recoil pad - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=sog+recoil+pad/t=P/ksubmit=y/s_o=New+Products+(Descending)/Products/All/search=sog_recoil_pad - I needed to trim this to get it to fit over the butt stock; I am still able to remove the end plate from the stock to access the storage with the pad installed.

I did not choose to go with the more esoteric (and probably better) solutions that address the buffer and adding internal weights to the stock, since I wanted a collapsible stock and many of these "fixes" are for fixed stocks. Hoot has several posts on this topic, and recently made reference to a mercury filled tube he was working on. Beyond my skills to do a rig like that.

Also someone sells a recoil reducing stock. I am sure someone will post a link to it, or you kind find it by searching.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 am

It's largely a matter of personal preference. I'm not fond of stocks that look like they were robbed from a prosthetic device, but that's just me. From the onset, I have used a standard A2 stock, modified internally for recoil mitigation but I recently changed to an A1 similarly modified. The shorter LOP, when combined with a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad fits my layout better. It's not unusual for me to have a long day of load experimentation at the range with 2-5 sets of 20 round loads. I have yet to go home feeling the worse for wear and tear after one of them. If some manufacturer does come out with one of those "barn jack" stocks that can deliver the same shooting comfort and provide some additional benefit without costing as much as the entire lower, I'd have a look at it.

;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 am

I have a ACE on my 16" to keep things on the lighter side.
Al in Mi

Postby bigboreshooter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:41 pm

I use the magpul moe with the locking cam, it holds up great to the recoil and it has different thickness recoil pads to modify it.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Hoot wrote:It's largely a matter of personal preference. I'm not fond of stocks that look like they were robbed from a prosthetic device, but that's just me. From the onset, I have used a standard A2 stock, modified internally for recoil mitigation but I recently changed to an A1 similarly modified. The shorter LOP, when combined with a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad fits my layout better. It's not unusual for me to have a long day of load experimentation at the range with 2-5 sets of 20 round loads. I have yet to go home feeling the worse for wear and tear after one of them. If some manufacturer does come out with one of those "barn jack" stocks that can deliver the same shooting comfort and provide some additional benefit without costing as much as the entire lower, I'd have a look at it.

;)

Hoot

1+++ and with Gunny's Recoil-Less System..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:30 pm

I am using the Fab Defense Sniper Stock that I show here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llaCD3hKYos
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Blasternank » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:16 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:It's largely a matter of personal preference. I'm not fond of stocks that look like they were robbed from a prosthetic device, but that's just me. From the onset, I have used a standard A2 stock, modified internally for recoil mitigation but I recently changed to an A1 similarly modified. The shorter LOP, when combined with a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad fits my layout better. It's not unusual for me to have a long day of load experimentation at the range with 2-5 sets of 20 round loads. I have yet to go home feeling the worse for wear and tear after one of them. If some manufacturer does come out with one of those "barn jack" stocks that can deliver the same shooting comfort and provide some additional benefit without costing as much as the entire lower, I'd have a look at it.

;)

Hoot

..t

First, Hoot-is your limbsaver a slip on or a fit one? If so, which one fits that model of stock?

Wildcatter-What is Gunny's recoil-less system? Where do I learn more about it?

Thanks for your input.
Blasternank

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Blasternank wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

;)

Hoot

..t

First, Hoot-is your limbsaver a slip on or a fit one? If so, which one fits that model of stock?

Wildcatter-What is Gunny's recoil-less system? Where do I learn more about it?

Thanks for your input.

Search ” recoil and what to do about it.” In the search function. Gunnut has done extensive recoil testing and has developed a recoil reducing stock (actually several) he sells them for a very reasonable price too. You can search his posts for additional info. Good luck!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Blasternank wrote:First, Hoot-is your limbsaver a slip on or a fit one? If so, which one fits that model of stock?
...snip...
Thanks for your input.

This is from the thread when I first discovered them back on April 22, 2010:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...snip... I'm thinking that you haven't seen what I just bought from Walmart. It sure looks like the real deal. Feels like it too. The medium is a great fit on my A2 stock and for only $19.95. You be the judge...

Here's what I bought

Here's what it looks like

From the back of the package

From the Sims web page
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of Past Thread Quote.

The medium if a perfect fit. I got my Dad one this past November and they've gone up a few dollars since 2010, but that's still less than you can get a Sims branded package one online at places like Midway. If you're handy and don't like the look of a slip-on pad, even though it blends well with the A1/A2 stock, you can easily adapt the permanent model Limbsaver Model 10401 to fit with minimal dinking around.

Either way you go, if there were only one item I could add to my 450b, be it the brake, the CCWS, the shake-weight system or the slip-on Limbsaver, hands down, I would take the Limbsaver. I do not like waffle tattoos on my shoulder. ;)

With all four items, I can honestly say mine is a real pussycat. Folks at the range are truly shocked when I let them shoot it. A fellow once was shooting a miserable to watch lever action in 450 Marlin. I took one of my rounds down to where he was shooting and asked if he'd like to try a different spin? After shooting my 450b, he proclaimed "That's just not fair!". I declined his offer to reciprocate, having seen how that Marlin wracked his body every shot. :shock:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles