Ross Brakes--How much louder are they and are they effective

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Ross Brakes--How much louder are they and are they effective

Postby Blasternank » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 pm

What's your experience with them? How effective are they? How much louder are they? While hunting would it blow your ears out? Will they keep you on the piggies pretty well for quick follow ups?

Thanks.
Blasternank

Re: Ross Brakes--How much louder are they and are they effec

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Any brand of brake in any caliber I've ever witnessed or shot myself would shut down your unprotected hearing long enough that if you were hunting in the woods and don't put the game down right there, you will lose valuable time hearing what direction it ran off in before getting your hearing back. The moral there being shoot like you only have one shot.

No brake made will allow you to keep your 450b on target, especially at greater distance and doubly so with optics. It will however get you back on target quicker than without. I have sensitive ears which are quite useful for animals in dry woods. My 450b shuts them down for about 20 seconds, followed by ringing for a minute or so. That has only happened twice when I forgot to put my plugs in. Once just the other day when I was doing my water shot with the blue tip blem. I was so distracted making sure no one was coming and setting up as fast as I could that I forgot to put them in. Funny thing is the same event caused the first incident when I was doing water shot testing with the FTX's two years ago. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

I have shot A ported barrel in the 450 and also the Izzy. I now have the ross break and will never look back! As far as louder i'm not sure. I havent had it in the tree stand yet. I intend to take some ear plugs and if time allows i'll put them in, but if one sneaks in on me and I dont have time i guess i'll find out. Luckily adrenaline usually makes the shot more managable but doesnt help with hearing loss. The Ross break is defintely effective on the recoil. I can shoot my 20" Bushy in a t-shirt with the stock a2 checkered butt-plate and not get bruised. Where as before it would beat me up pretty good. Try one and if you dont like it i'm almost positive someone on here will be willing to buy it off of you.
Wicked Hunter

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Brakes are always louder, by their very nature.

Some work and some don't.

If recoil is what you want to mitigate, then consider the increased noise inducing a flinch vs using no-brake, that is indeed something to consider..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

I was wearing my electronic ear muffs last deer season on and off because they got uncomfortable after an hour or so. Of course when I got a shot, it was quick and the muffs were in the coat pocket! My ears rang for sure but no more than with my '06. It was a bang flop on a decent size doe. She was tasty too!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

The Ross Brake does work. But yes, it's loud. I shot at a yote without protection and the report was significant, but tolerable. But like Hoot and Tim say, if at all possible, consider protection whenever shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake.
We are preparing to do a video very soon on the Izzy Flash-vs-Ross brake. The HD cameras arrived today. This video will be to compare the flash suppression of each device. That portion of the video will be shot at night. But I am also considering shooting a segment during daylight hours to compare how these devices affect rifle behaviour. I am going to run the cameras at 120 frames per second on some takes and a bit slower on other takes just to experiment with the cameras abilities.
FYI, most cameras run only 30 Frames Per Second. All of my current videos were shot at standard definition at 30FPS and slowed down using software.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Here is the test with the Ross Brake. Gunny did this test a year ago.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=223&start=80
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 am

When we did the muzzle brake season two years ago, (I don't think the Ross brake was available at the time) we measured with a decibel meter, the noise level of brakeless, izzy, jp, and one other I can't remember. basically the brakes that reduced recoil were about 20dB louder. I believe the rule of thumb is every 10 dB is equal to be perceived as twice as loud. We really need to link all of those threads together with at least a link to each other, because that was some good data. One thing I won't forget was the pressure wave from those brakes hitting me in the face, rather undesirable. I chose to attack recoil with a recoil-less stock and a limbsaver for that reason alone. I'll try to find that thread, but so far, I've come up empty.
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:59 am

Haha, found it. With help from the Sheepdawg who linked all the threads together in one thread!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=590&hilit=Muzzle+brakes&start=20
bushmeister

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am

:mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles