Whats your best group with the 450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Whats your best group with the 450?

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:52 pm

It just hit me, we dont have a brag board for groups from our 450's! I just thought of it because i've got a group to brag about. I've been playing with the Barnes 200grn Xpb. I've definately found the sweet spot for my rifle. Now i've just to get some more loaded up for deer and the chrono. This is a 5 shot group @100yds. I didnt think all 5 were in there but the backer board revealed no other holes!
Wicked Hunter

Re: Whats your best group with the 450?

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Not that good. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:28 pm

haha.. I showed you mine now show me yours. I might add that was just off a bench and sand bags. No mechanical rest involved.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

That's a phenomenal group and a testimony to both consistent loading and good bench discipline.

Barnes: You hate the price, but you love the results. ;)

This one's been posted both here and on other thumper caliber sites before, but it's my personal best. Before discovering the 200gr XPB, it was my white tail load as well. Like yours, it's a 5-shot group at 100 yards off of a front and rear bag using the 225 FTX, 38gr of Lil Gun and new brass.

My Dad left his Lead Sled with me on his last trip out here, but it's not much fun to shoot. Too detached an experience. It is nice when working on punishing calibers, of which I do not consider the 450 to be. I've had much better 3 and 4-shot groups. One 3-shot group was almost one perfect hole. Then I got excited and pooched it. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Blasternank » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Not a bad group for 25 yards! :lol:
Blasternank

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Blasternank wrote:Not a bad group for 25 yards! :lol:

With my eyes and iron sights, that about all I could do at 25 yards. I have glasses, but hate wearing glasses. Last few years, I have relented when deer hunting and worn them, but when I wear a full head covering against the cold, they fog up, even after treating them with anti-fog wipes. The things you young-uns have to look forward to. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby B swift » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm

:D

What a hoot... You guys really crack me up! :lol:

I haven't actually sat down to shoot my own holes in the paper but I have no doubt about the weapon itself. After seeing what you folks do with them and my own experience sighting in (over the hood of my car).
The other day I took a novice shooter out and gave him a go with the BM. He put three in a very tight group with two very close. Maybe 2 moa...in five and sub moa with three. Not bad for a rookie.

I just want to know I can place a good shot for harvesting game or dispatching the predators. (I can) ;)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 pm

B swift wrote::D

What a hoot... You guys really crack me up! :lol:

I haven't actually sat down to shoot my own holes in the paper but I have no doubt about the weapon itself. After seeing what you folks do with them and my own experience sighting in (over the hood of my car).
The other day I took a novice shooter out and gave him a go with the BM. He put three in a very tight group with two very close. Maybe 2 moa...in five and sub moa with three. Not bad for a rookie.

I just want to know I can place a good shot for harvesting game or dispatching the predators. (I can) ;)

You're absolutely right. There's striving and there's obsessing over tight groups and some times that line blurs. With the lethality of the 450b, and while inviting the wrath of some, I will opine that at the ranges I consider it a good choice for what I hunt, sub-MOA groups are not necessary. Heck 3 MOA is more than adequate. Still, we all strive to put our best foot forward and since the lethality is a given, as long as your loads cycle reliably, there's not much more to strive for at the shooting bench besides great groups and a rifle configuration that's comfortable to shoot more than a few times. I don't want this to become another safe queen. I already have enough of them. So, I investigate ideas, invent challenges and try to keep it from becoming old. So far, it has held the forefront of my shooting interest for over two and a half years. For me, that's quite an accomplishment. I have tack driver rifles the get taken out and cleaned annually and that's it. So, setting some bar to achieve is important to keep me engaged. That and helping others keeps me coming back for more. To each, his own...

Hoot
Hoot

Postby B swift » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 pm

My friend... Nothing against anyone with a 1/8 moa scope for targets and likes to poke the same hole? (so to speak?) I've shot very distant things and tiny little things and I don't mind a bit of recoil. I did notice how bad my trigger assembly sucks. I suspect that will be my first upgrade.

I love the thump!

:D

I've been known to target eyeballs. I hate to chase anything or watch it suffer. :)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Not that I'm against tight groups, but I have never known a deer to stand around waiting for the second, third, fourth, and fifth shots to see what kind of group the hunter could get. It seems to me that paper target repeatability looses some applicability in the field. It's the first shot that counts. If a second is needed it's rarely going to the same place on the animal. IMHO. :shock:
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles