450 upgrades. Young BCG...? Upper/Lower fit issue.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 upgrades. Young BCG...? Upper/Lower fit issue.

Postby Despotes » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I just found my Young NM carrier and it appears to fit. Is it safe to use with the 450 bolt?

I'm also looking to upgrade the handguard http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=450and gas block. Will an adjustable gas block be helpful? I thought I read these are slightly overgassed. I'll just stick with a regular low profile GB if not beneficial.

Also, the rear take down pin will not push in all the way after assembling upper w/ lower. The Tactical Innovations lower fits perfectly with my Cardinal Armory 6.8 upper.
The milled inlet area around the pin tab/dog ear is .655 measured midpoint of takedown pin hole.
Is there a common theme w/ other 450B owners w/ the same issue?
Despotes

Re: 450 upgrades. Young BCG...? Upper/Lower fit issue.

Postby Blasternank » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:26 pm

There shouldn't be any issue using your bolt carrier. The bolts are made to fit into any mil spec bolt carrier. Your handguard is the one I am getting for mine and I will be putting a low profile gas block. I asked before about an adjustable gas block and people seemed receptive to the idea and that it would be fine to have one. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer than that.
Blasternank

Postby MarkCO » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Adjustable gas can be a touchy subject for some. While the .450BMs have way more gas than needed, most adjustable gas systems are prone to drift, failure and leakage. I use my own non-adjustable gas block on most builds, but with the .450BM, if you want adjustable gas, go with the Syrac. It is easy to adjust and it is very durable. That is what I used on mine just posted in the photo thread: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47&p=36390#p36390

Your Young NM carrier is a great choice as it has more bearing surface and mass than a mil-spec carrier.
MarkCO

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:53 pm

That sure is a nice looking bolt carrier. The fact that it has more mass is icing on the cake. If I were shopping for another bolt carrier, that would be a good candidate.

A lot of folks are raving about this carrier as well: PWI DI BCG Not as much for the finish, but for the intelligent design that went into it and the extra weight.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Blasternank » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Hoot,

Aren't those for piston driven AR's?
Blasternank

Postby Despotes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Blasternank wrote:Hoot,

Says, "Direct Impingement". Also, note the gas key.
Despotes

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Blasternank wrote:Hoot,

You are correct. They were originally designed for gas piston service, but their performance has gained them enough of a following that the company made one in the same vain for DI.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Dittos on the DWI BC...I have one that I made up as a spare BCG, and it is really a slick operator in my A2 20", fits very nicely, and nothing seems to stick to the "isonite" coating on it. Very good carrier, and only $95-99.....
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby jamesgang » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Despotes wrote:I just found my Young NM carrier and it appears to fit. Is it safe to use with the 450 bolt?

I'm also looking to upgrade the handguard http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=450and gas block. Will an adjustable gas block be helpful? I thought I read these are slightly overgassed. I'll just stick with a regular low profile GB if not beneficial.

Also, the rear take down pin will not push in all the way after assembling upper w/ lower. The Tactical Innovations lower fits perfectly with my Cardinal Armory 6.8 upper.
The milled inlet area around the pin tab/dog ear is .655 measured midpoint of takedown pin hole.
Is there a common theme w/ other 450B owners w/ the same issue?

I've been running the Gen I 15" fore end over my 16" barreled AR for over two years and love it. Going to put the Gen II in FDE on my 20" 450B.
jamesgang

Return to AR15 Style Rifles