They're Here

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

They're Here

Postby jerdebson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 am

Big Brown brought our 20" 450B uppers today. Now if I just had the scopes mounted, Hornady factory ammo, Hornady dies, 500 rounds of bulk Hornady 230 gr FMJ FP bullets and some Lil-Gun powder I would be closer to shooting them. This should be great. I believe this rounds out my AR collection, for the time being.

I am looking forward to working up the 230 gr FMJ FP loads. :D
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Re: They're Here

Postby Hoot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am

jerdebson wrote:Big Brown brought our 20" 450B uppers today. Now if I just had the scopes mounted, Hornady factory ammo, Hornady dies, 500 rounds of bulk Hornady 230 gr FMJ FP bullets and some Lil-Gun powder I would be closer to shooting them. This should be great. I believe this rounds out my AR collection, for the time being.

I am looking forward to working up the 230 gr FMJ FP loads. :D

Hang on folks, the show's about to start! Image

Congrats and savor every moment.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jerdebson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 am

Hoot, you WC, TSD, Gunny and several others caused me to be in this "condition". I knew I had to have one, or more, of these the day I started lurking in the background. I will start from scratch, with a lot of info from you guys, and work up loads for the 250 gr Hornady bullet used in the factory load and the Hornady 230 gr FMJ FP. I don't need to be at the very edge but I want to know where it is. As all reloaders seek I want to find the best of both worlds, accuracy and speed. I hope to get the 230s to 2500 fps, that would be an awesome round.

I actually rationalized selling a semi-custom Rem. 700 .308 to a friend, that had wanted it for some time, to make room for it, the 450B, in the house safe. He is also having me build a 450B for him as I build mine. We have cost each other a small fortune in the last eight years, guns, ham radios, etc.
Last edited by jerdebson on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm

jerdebson wrote:Hoot, you WC, TSD and several others caused me to be in this "condition". I knew I had to have one, or more, of these the day I started lurking in the background. I will start from scratch, with a lot of info from you guys, and work up loads for the 250 gr Hornady bullet used in the factory load and the Hornady 230 gr FMJ FP. I don't need to be at the very edge but I want to know where it is. As all reloaders seek I want to find the best of both worlds, accuracy and speed. I hope to get the 230s to 2500 fps, that would be an awesome round.

I actually rationalized selling a semi-custom Rem. 700 .308 to a friend, that had wanted it for some time, to make room for it, the 450B, in the house safe. He is also having me build a 450B for him as I build mine. We have cost each other a small fortune in the last eight years, guns, ham radios, etc.

You can indeed get to 2500fps with those 230gr-fp's, if you pay attention to the safety rules, but keep in mind they are a poor home defense load.

Case in point, a couple of years ago the bad guys broke into a home in Detroit, they were there to kill him. The good guy shot first, but also missed. The 9mm's went out of his house and across the street, into the house of an elderly lady, killing her.

The Bad Guys got a slap on the hand, the good guy got 15yrs, for negligent homicide!

But all is not lost, because when you get your fmj load, down pat, you can use the same load with 230gr Hollow-Head Bullets, to the same over-all Performance. If you consider that the 230HP's are still expanding at 300fps and know you're moving them at 2500fps, well, they just might make good Home Defense Loads. Do your own Due-Diligence, but I think you may find positive results..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby jerdebson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 pm

WC, your thoughts are all very important points. I live in the country, my nearest neighbor is over 1/4 mile to the NNE, my next nearest is .6 to the E. With those two exceptions I own everything within .5 mile. I have several other guns more suited to Home Defense. I wouldn't want to come calling at someone's door, such as mine, that has the means to do whatever is necessary to stop it. I was a Deputy Sheriff for twenty years and competed several times a month at USPSA matches, getting to B Class, when I was younger and in good condition. Now pushing sixty next week I would have to get it done fast before I ran out of gas. :D

The 450B is for fun right now. I want to see what we can do together. YOUR round makes me want to do what I haven't done for several years. If I never kill anything but steel and paper that is OK with me.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Jerry, DE
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 am

[quote="Texas Sheepdawg"]Jerry, DE ******

TSD, you had me for a little bit, but I caught on. I'm a little slow and very rusty. I hope my memory hasn't failed me, again.
Last edited by jerdebson on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:29 am

Got the call sign. but the "I AM" threw me for a second. There are a few HAMS in here. Two of them are your moderators!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:03 am

The DE threw me for a second too. I thought the I am might do the same. :D
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Jerry, DE

Yeah!!! Well, this DE is from the Timinator.."Where's My S'Mores"!! And I don't need Mister Morse to spell that out!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles