Poll: What Grain Projectile do you Prefer/ Use?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

What Grain Projectile are you using in your 450 BM?

185 gr
No votes
200 gr
6%
225 gr
9%
230 gr
13%
240 gr
No votes
250 gr
59%
275 gr
No votes
300 gr
9%
Other
3%

Total votes : 32

Poll: What Grain Projectile do you Prefer/ Use?

Postby Blasternank » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 pm

So what projectile do you throw down range or "Prefer"? If you shoot another please let us know. If you chose a specific projectile for a reason please specify and enlighten us as to why.

Thanks!
Last edited by Blasternank on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blasternank

Re: Poll: What Grain Projectile are you using in your 450 B

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Perhaps "Prefer" belongs in the question.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Poll: What Grain Projectile do you Prefer/ Use?

Postby wildcatter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Very interesting, but I shoot them all amd many other weights and configuration, Depends on the mission for the bullet..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Current Mission: Hogs and Deer.
Current choice 230 Grain FMJ.
Reason It's cheap to shoot and it knocks the knickers off anything it hits.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:37 pm

I got the 450 as a hammer hence the sole vote for 300gr only because I haven't had the time to try the 325gr Barnes yet. Big roosters kick the hell out of little roosters, and I have plenty of little roosters as it is :D
Al in Mi

Postby mnhornet » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm running 200's don't know that I "prefer" them, but they were cheap midway blems, have proven accurate out of my 16", and are plenty for Mn whitails.
I would have used them with confidence had I pulled a black bear tag too. I'm a big fan of the factory 250's too, and will pick some up next time thay go on sale at palmetto.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby wildcatter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 am

How about an "all of the above", Hot Button..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby LlindeX » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Current Mission: Hogs and Deer.

Dawg,

I've been trying some of the Hornady 230gr RNFMJ projectiles using the "Tightneck" concept during the reloading process. I've been getting about one & 1/4 inch five shot groups at 100 yrds. (Plenty accurate for hunting at 200 yrds, but unfortunately, our game laws up here in Colo. don't allow me to use them.) Can you give me a little bit more description of the type of damage your getting with them on game? Are you loading your FMJ hunting rounds up to that 2500 fps level? Are they destroying alot of meat? Any info or picks you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 pm

We lost our lease due to a clear cutting operation a few years ago and I have had pretty bad luck since. I have no kills yet with my 450B. That's why we have spent the summer trying to get pastures fenced off and installed a deer feeder back in the cedars. My new deer blind will be sitting backwards on my toilet with my rifle barrel stuck out of the bathroom window. No.... That's not a joke.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm

LlindeX wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Current Mission: Hogs and Deer.

Dawg,

I've been trying some of the Hornady 230gr RNFMJ projectiles using the "Tightneck" concept during the reloading process. I've been getting about one & 1/4 inch five shot groups at 100 yrds. (Plenty accurate for hunting at 200 yrds, but unfortunately, our game laws up here in Colo. don't allow me to use them.) Can you give me a little bit more description of the type of damage your getting with them on game? Are you loading your FMJ hunting rounds up to that 2500 fps level? Are they destroying alot of meat? Any info or picks you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

As for the Tight Neck concept, I've never used it. As soon as I can get my health back, I have several shooting projects on hold that I need to get caught up on. I only use the LeGendre crimp on the FMJs, however, I may start using it on other projects too. I've got another possibility of a hog hunt this year, but it's no guarantee. The only guarantee I have is that there is now a feeder in my south pasture. And game cameras are showing increased signs and incidents of small game hitting the feeder, so there are some game trails starting to get established. Bow season has started in the county south of me, and hopefully, the pressure will now start to push game up the creek bottoms away from the denser human populations. I'm hoping for deer and hogs to soon find my feeder.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles