Camo for your furniture

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Camo for your furniture

Postby cptrifeg2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

While I was depolyed I had the misfortune of a flood in my basement. It just so happened I left a guncase on the floor with a 6.5 Husquvarna mowser and my first 20ga my father bought me in it..I was so sick to my stomach when I first saw them when I came home they sat for about 7 months before I even looked at them again. I finally manned up and cleaned all the rust pitting and mold/ wood rot off and began to repair/ fill them. while the weapons were safe to shoot..they sure were ugly and discolored..until now.

and yeah..I used a pine tree branch from my yard..really complex design..I had a beer in my right hand with the branch soo it may look a little off..

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Re: Camo for your furniture

Postby B swift » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Came out looking great! :) You're a better painter than me.
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Very cool...those look great, considering what happened to them. Good job!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Looks great. You are tempting me into a new area in which I have exactly no experience and no talent. :|

More details please!! Did you just use Krylon spray paint? What colors? Did you take any photos of the process - one hand spray painting, one hand holding beer and one hand taking pictures?

After you have fired it, let us know how the paint held up to the heat on the barrel.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby cptrifeg2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:49 pm

For older weapons that arent going to have lots of contact with brush, the ground, the workbench..I use the rustoleum flat cammo paints for metal and wood one coat (I should say layer) every 24 hours then finish off with a flat clear coat. this keeps the paint layers from rubbing off. Now if your going to paint up your 450 or any other high dollar toy, I suggest Duracoat shake and bake-http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenbake.html This is a cooked on enamel for metal and plastic. This stuff is great. On the same site you can get camo kits for designs that take you step by step (make sure to buy the bake tape kits if you plan on baking). Or if you have basic painting skills you can pattern yourself like I do. Just for you I'll buy a plastic gun and do a step by step for you. The basic rules are simple..use lighter colors first the each color after should be darker. Every color you apply less paint to allow the others to show through. Give me a few days I have drill this weekend then Ill knock it out for you. It really is easy with a little practice, I really did have a beer in my hand the entire time I was painting...not that hard just takes patience.

Rick

cptrifeg2

Postby cptrifeg2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm

This is my 450 with duracoat- Image As a practice I normally do not pain the upper and lower receiver so I can make changes without a bunch of mismatching.

cptrifeg2

Return to AR15 Style Rifles