Long M4 buffer tube?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Long M4 buffer tube?

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Sup guys?

I was wondering............does anybody make a longer M4 buffer tube that has say 7 positions instead of the normal 6? I need a bit more LOP and I'd just as soon not have to do it by adding a butt pad. Seems like it would be an easy thing for a company to build?
Stealthshooter

Re: Long M4 buffer tube?

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Here is an eight position http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-EG4925 that extends to 12", but I don't know if this is longer than a six position stock and I can't find one with dimensions. But why not add a butt pad. They slip right on the standard collapsible stock and can be made to fit others, and they make shooting the BM more comfortable.

Here is one with an adjustable LOP (doesn't say how much), but it is for an A1 or A2 only - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-874. You can probably find others at Cheaper than Dirt or Brownells.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Well I just bought a Mako recoil reducing stock and it fits me so nice that I don't want to mess with it at all. It would be ideal if I could just find a longer buffer tube or an extension for one. I was thinking about a threaded nipple that would go into the lower then a coupler then I could screw my buffer tube into the coupler. Seems easy enough but..............I need a donor buffer tube and a couple castle nuts to weld together to make the coupler. Does this sound doable?
Stealthshooter

Postby helidude350 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:07 pm

a one piece would be better as the bolt carrier would have to negotiate another seam. something else to fail.
maybe an existing one could be modded at the tail end, not affecting the functioning parts.
i will look into it.
there may already be one made, just need to hook you up with them.
i havent checked the links on the previous posts.

is yours mil spec or commercial?

hmmm, maybe i could produce and market them. pay for my ar addiction ;)
helidude350

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Mine has a flat back so I'm thinking Mil spec. Yes a one piece would be much better but I can't find one. I was also thinking maybe an ar10 tube but the only measurments I can find for an ar10 adjustable stock are the same as my ar15 tube.
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm

So I just measured my tube and it's a Commercial tube. Measures out at 1.168"
Stealthshooter

Postby BayouBob » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Mine has a flat back so I'm thinking Mil spec. Yes a one piece would be much better but I can't find one. I was also thinking maybe an ar10 tube but the only measurments I can find for an ar10 adjustable stock are the same as my ar15 tube.

The AR 308's use a standard length tube; the buffers are shorter to make up for the longer bolt carrier. Your easiest solution for length of pull would be the Sims slip over butt pad made for a standard rifle stock. It would take at least a medium sized one and maybe a large to fit over the Mako stock. The pad will add almost an inch to your length of pull. I put one on my 450's A2 stock. It doesn't look perfect but until I get around to grinding a recoil pad to fit it I don't think the hogs will be offended.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:38 pm

A slip over pad is the easiest and I have one. It just doesn't feel as good nor look as good. I'm really wanting to figure out a way to do it and make it look and feel like it does now. I really wish I had a lathe!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 pm

I may end up welding the back portion of another tube to the rear of mine. Sounds like a good excuse to get that spool gun I have been wanting!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 am

BayouBob wrote:
Stealthshooter wrote:Mine has a flat back so I'm thinking Mil spec. Yes a one piece would be much better but I can't find one. I was also thinking maybe an ar10 tube but the only measurments I can find for an ar10 adjustable stock are the same as my ar15 tube.

The AR 308's use a standard length tube; the buffers are shorter to make up for the longer bolt carrier. Your easiest solution for length of pull would be the Sims slip over butt pad made for a standard rifle stock. It would take at least a medium sized one and maybe a large to fit over the Mako stock. The pad will add almost an inch to your length of pull. I put one on my 450's A2 stock. It doesn't look perfect but until I get around to grinding a recoil pad to fit it I don't think the hogs will be offended.

Instead of the Sims slipover butt pad, I suggest the SOG recoil pad from Brownells. It fits over the end of the Mako GL stock, which I have, with a little trimming with a box cutter, and you retain the ability to open the rear storage compartment without removing the pad. Since it is just a pad that fits over the existing butt pad / storage compartment cover, it doesn't change the look of the butt stock significantly. It will solve the LOP problem and help with recoil, even if you don't feel that is a problem for you. Here is the link - http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=sog+recoil+pad&ksubmit=y. In this photo, which shows the inside of the pad, the "tabs" that stick out into the slot are the parts that need a little trimming.
Attachments
BM 450 Mako GL Butt Stock 02 7x5 72.jpg
BM 450 Mako GL Butt Stock 02 7x5 72.jpg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles