450 piston upper?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 piston upper?

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Just curious if anyone is or has thought of a piston conversion for their thumper?
Stealthshooter

Re: 450 piston upper?

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 pm

We have used various piston setupa in researching and developing a "better" system. End result is we keep going back to the old gas setups. Its just light and simple. Less parts, and the advantage of hi volume cleanliness isnt worth it for us i can a 450, where the average owner only fires a few hundred rounds a year.
tridentarmory

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Sorry, bad spelling etc.... im on my phone and have phat thumbs..
tridentarmory

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 am

tridentarmory wrote:We have used various piston setupa in researching and developing a "better" system. End result is we keep going back to the old gas setups. Its just light and simple. Less parts, and the advantage of hi volume cleanliness isnt worth it for us i can a 450, where the average owner only fires a few hundred rounds a year.

Yup, Gas Impingement is a De-Bugged System..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 am

wildcatter wrote:
tridentarmory wrote:We have used various piston setupa in researching and developing a "better" system. End result is we keep going back to the old gas setups. Its just light and simple. Less parts, and the advantage of hi volume cleanliness isnt worth it for us i can a 450, where the average owner only fires a few hundred rounds a year.

Yup, Gas Impingement is a De-Bugged System..

..t

The only improvements you could reasonably consider for a 450 Bushmaster would be a Ross Brake, a Noonan A1 RecoilLess Stock, a Timney or other custom trigger. The gas, carrier and buffer system work as designed as long as you stick to factory fodder and average to a bit zippy hand loads with 225-275 grain bullets. Other than cosmetic gadgets, the action has already been perfected by our own WC. But that's just my experience and opinion. And believe me, I was stubborn about buffers. I wanted an Enidine buffer bad. WC talked me out of it and I am ever thankful to him for saving me hundreds of dollars on frills I didn't need.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 am

Good enough for me!!

I did make my buffer quite a bit heavier and it made a big difference!! I'm now working on making a removable carrier weight to try and see if I can squeak a bit more speed out of my 300's I'm hoping to get up to 2150 fps up from my 2120 fps I'm shooting now. I really wish I could find someone to activate my forward gas block. Even better would be a 25" barrel. but..............I/we are having a hard time finding a 1:24" barrel blank that long :cry:
Stealthshooter

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Good enough for me!!

I did make my buffer quite a bit heavier and it made a big difference!! I'm now working on making a removable carrier weight to try and see if I can squeak a bit more speed out of my 300's I'm hoping to get up to 2150 fps up from my 2120 fps I'm shooting now. I really wish I could find someone to activate my forward gas block. Even better would be a 25" barrel. but..............I/we are having a hard time finding a 1:24" barrel blank that long :cry:

What is the weight of your buffer?
9x19MdM

Return to AR15 Style Rifles