BLACK FOLLOWER Technical support: Tips and Tricks

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: BLACK FOLLOWER Technical support: Tips and Tricks

Postby MarkCO » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Straight 20 Stoners are probably the easiest. I have 30s Stoners that are working 100%. I have not tried the Stoner 40s yet, but I have 3 C-Product 40 rounders that are 100%.
MarkCO

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Keesey wrote:Anyone put the black follower in a magpul pmag30??

I tried the black followers in the SigSauer 30 round pmags. The follower won't fit around the slight curve in the magazine without some mods. I will stick to using the 5.56 follower that comes with the mag, as others have reported that that works just fine.

I also modified a couple of blue followers that stack on top of the standard follower in the SigSauer Pmags, but in doing so, I took too much width off the piece that fits in the slot at the back of the magazine. As a result the bolt does not lock back after the last round, but the magazine feeds fine. Lesson learned.

Now to order a few more stoners.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Jwayne7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Have my new 450, Have ammo, now have the black followers (Thank you for getting those to me)
now I need mags...
Ordered Cproducts from ammotogo.com and learned after I placed my order that they were aluminum, so will be canceling that order because it doesn't sound like those will work.
I found these Korean HK clone steel mags. http://centerfiresystems.com/WWWmagar-kr30.aspx Can someone tell me if they think they will work with the followers?
Another option is if someone wants to sell any lancers, steel cproducts, which I will post in the Market section if I go that route...
Jwayne7

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 am

Jwayne7 wrote:Have my new 450, Have ammo, now have the black followers (Thank you for getting those to me)
now I need mags...
Ordered Cproducts from ammotogo.com and learned after I placed my order that they were aluminum, so will be canceling that order because it doesn't sound like those will work.
I found these Korean HK clone steel mags. http://centerfiresystems.com/WWWmagar-kr30.aspx Can someone tell me if they think they will work with the followers?
Another option is if someone wants to sell any lancers, steel cproducts, which I will post in the Market section if I go that route...

I was unable to get the black follower to work in the 30 round Sig PMags, which have a curve similar to the HK mag shown in the photo in the linked page. The anti-tilt "arms" are too long to allow the follower to go around the curve. Possibly trimming some off of the "arms" would allow them to work in a curved mag without unduly compromising the anti tilt feature. However, the PMags work just fine with the original .223 / 5.56 follower that came in the mag. My suggestion would be to try the HK mags (or whatever you have) with the follower that comes in them, or stick with a straight mag like the Stoner 20 for the black followers.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby helidude350 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 am

When i do the sig mags, I cut the "arms " off flush with the bottom of the follower.
After 20 rounders, ar mags curve because the 223/556 round is tapered.
the 450 round is basically straight.
So flat -ish follower that can float just a tiny bit allows the 450 rounds to stack straight in a curved mag.
sorta... ;)
helidude350

Postby helidude350 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 am

I'll try to post a pic later.
Havent had much luck with that.
helidude350

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
Jwayne7 wrote:Have my new 450, Have ammo, now have the black followers (Thank you for getting those to me)
now I need mags...

I was unable to get the black follower to work in the 30 round Sig PMags, which have a curve similar to the HK mag shown in the photo in the linked page. The anti-tilt "arms" are too long to allow the follower to go around the curve. Possibly trimming some off of the "arms" would allow them to work in a curved mag without unduly compromising the anti tilt feature. However, the PMags work just fine with the original .223 / 5.56 follower that came in the mag. My suggestion would be to try the HK mags (or whatever you have) with the follower that comes in them, or stick with a straight mag like the Stoner 20 for the black followers.

Jimbo, just cut the legs short, take you what, ten seconds? I've even cut them all the way off, to make them work. If you have special-needs mags, which nearly all, but a few mags will work without an trouble. Adjust the follower, they will work fine in your mags..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Keesey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 am

On my Kay gi mags that curve I put a slight taper on the legs not much just enough to allow a smooth travel, and all I used was a fine metal file to do so took about 20 Min

Not sure if it relates to the mag in question but if it help it helps
Keesey

Postby helidude350 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 am

helidude350

Postby helidude350 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 am

This one is in process.
Still needs finishing.
helidude350

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles