Scope eye relief.. How much is enough..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope eye relief.. How much is enough..

Postby thatguy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:16 pm

I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope that I was hoping to put on my 450B when I get it.. I compared its eye relief to a Nikon Prostaff (shotgun/muzzleloader) scope and the Simmons has a good 1" to 1.5" LESS eye relief than the Nikon (advertised eye relief is about 4")..

is 2.5 to 3" eye relief asking for trouble with a 450B??

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: Scope eye relief.. How much is enough..

Postby MudBug » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:50 pm

As far as the AR platform goes, it's easier to get a shorter eye relief that longer eye relief, so you are OK there.

As far as enough eye relief to avoid scope eye... I really don't know, but I would think it would be OK.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bushmeister » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm

I was concerned about this as well, so I went with a scope with 3.7"-4" of relief. So I was very observant when I let my brothers shoot my carbine, and it never came close to them. I would guess 2" would be borderline, but alot depends on how much shoulder you bring to the fight.
bushmeister

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:02 pm

I agree with MB & BM... the recoil is not THAT bad on the AR platform. A locked shoulder & proper cheek weld will always prevent the dredded "black eye".
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MADONE64 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:24 pm

I wouldn't think you should have any trouble with eye relief. Recoil is more of a strong shove, pretty easy to move with. IMO I had more trouble getting enough scope height, than anything. But warne extra highs took care of that problem. So no worries.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin
MADONE64

Return to AR15 Style Rifles