Carbon buildup

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Carbon buildup

Postby Siringo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm

I generally am a total clean freak when it comes to my rifles. On these AR15 types, the curd that builds up in the flash hider/muzzle brake recess near the crown of the muzzle has always irked me. I am in the process of "refining" my setup and removed the muzzle brake. There was quite a bid of carbon that had built up between the end of the barrel (crown) and the inside face of the brake. I would think after a while this would have an adverse effect on the accuracy, but I have not seen any change.

I don't want to get anal about cleaning out this recess. Should this build up just be ignored???
Siringo

Re: Carbon buildup

Postby wildcatter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Siringo wrote:I generally am a total clean freak when it comes to my rifles. On these AR15 types, the curd that builds up in the flash hider/muzzle brake recess near the crown of the muzzle has always irked me. I am in the process of "refining" my setup and removed the muzzle brake. There was quite a bid of carbon that had built up between the end of the barrel (crown) and the inside face of the brake. I would think after a while this would have an adverse effect on the accuracy, but I have not seen any change.

I don't want to get anal about cleaning out this recess. Should this build up just be ignored???

Yup, in Spades. I use spray carb-cleaner and the build-up "On" the brake goes away, you'll have to set your mind at ease, about the soot you can't see without dissembling the weapon.

You'd prolly scream to see my Shop Guns..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: Carbon buildup

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:01 pm

After 700+ rounds, mine was dirty, but right now the Ross Brake registers perfectly and my experience has been that the more you remove and torque the brake back on, the more the registration point drifts, so despite cleaning my baby after every range session, the brake stayed in place until the end of the shooting season. That was mid November and it is once again clean, but yes, it had a lot of buildup when I took it off.

In defense of cleaning and lubing the mating, moving parts every range session with tungsten disulfide entrained oil. There is literally no abrading of the phosphate on any of those friction points. It looks as good as when I first got it, disassembled it entirely, scrubbed it in the parts tank and lubed it up last April.

IMHO, I probably don't need to clean it so often and thoroughly as I do. It's just the way I was raised. "Ounce of prevention. Pound of cure." I wish I was so tidy in my workshop. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles