Just to Clarify!!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Just to Clarify!!

Postby JDeere7296 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Hello guys, I'm new here, looked for along time since I've toyed with the idea of a 450 for a long time. From what I've read I think I know the answer but I just want to make sure. In order to get a .450B upper I can either:

1. Purchase complete upper directly from BM or other supplier (This, I'm sure is the easiest option by far)

2. Purchase a stripped upper from BM designed for the .450 and purchase the barrel and assemble my self (I've assembled several AR's so this wouldn't be an issue)

3. Purchase a stripped (other brand) upper but I would have to enlarge the ejection port and possibly modify the feed ramps.

Is there any stipped upper besides BM that will work without haveing to modify anything?

Just trying to decide which direction to go!

Thanks for the help in advance - Andy
JDeere7296

Re: Just to Clarify!!

Postby Clipity » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

I am in the process of building my own upper, but it is slow going do to the lack of money. I may just end up waiting for the upper to go on sale again at the BM site and just buy one already built. On sale it would cost me about what its going to cost me to build one plus I get a BM magazine, if not on sale I would save myself about $200 building it. I have some of the parts for the build but am lacking the main componets barrel, bolt, bolt carrier and handguard at around $400 for all of these.
Clipity

Postby JDeere7296 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Yeah, thats kind of where I am right now.....I've added all up and it's coming out to about $450 for all the components. Build time isn't a factor as I've done this several times already for .223 builds...

Since I've posted I've found that the Mega Billet upper would work without modification to ejection port, they have a slick sided upper that is designed for use in custom builds. I verified with a supplier that it will work with the 450 without modification. It's $139 stripped, but it doesn't have a forward assist which isn't that critical anyway.

I thought about waiting for the sale again, but I'm not that patient, I figure it would be at least 3-4 months till the sale again as they just had one in November, and then 2-4 weeks for delivery.
JDeere7296

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Before they went on sale last March, I beat around the idea of building my own, but the lead time on the barrel/bolt combo was as long as the wait for the complete upper once it went on sale anyway and in the case of the complete upper from BM, you know it has been test fired and in all likelihood will work without fiddling with it. If you can get your hands on the barrel/bolt combo of the length and material you want right now and have experience de-bugging an initial build, then go for it. You'll probably have it up and running before they go on sale, hopefully again this March. The wait is agonizing, I know...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Clipity » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Hoot wrote:You'll probably have it up and running before they go on sale, hopefully again this March. The wait is agonizing, I know...

Hoot

If we get lucky and they go on sale in March I will pull the trigger (pun intended) and get one and scrap the build. Here's hoping the IRS gets their act together by then so I will have some money to play with.
Clipity

Postby JDeere7296 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:28 pm

I went ahead and ordered the Mega upper, there are two barrel sources, MGI and Balistic Advantage. I e-mailed both of them to see what the lead time is, I'll post this tomorrow if/when they get back to me. Does anyone know anything about Balistic Advantage?
JDeere7296

Postby artalon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 am

believe me, if your gona reload or hunt where its dirty you want the forward assist, my dad has always said you dont need an assist until he ran in to a bulged case
as for ordering an upper from BM direct , I think youll be happier going through someone like buds where there everyday price is less than BM sale price or about the same
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby JDeere7296 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:17 am

artalon wrote:believe me, if your gona reload or hunt where its dirty you want the forward assist, my dad has always said you dont need an assist until he ran in to a bulged case
as for ordering an upper from BM direct , I think youll be happier going through someone like buds where there everyday price is less than BM sale price or about the same

I looked at buds and they are out of stock on backorder like everyone else is unfortunately.....well except bushmaster but I'm not paying $729 for the upper. I e-mailed MGI, they said that they have the barrels in stock but the bolts won't be in till the end of the month. I haven't heard from the other supplier yet. If I can get everything else together and just wait for the bolt maybe I can have it up and running by Feb.....
JDeere7296

Postby johnbearross » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 am

Mega also sells a slick-side upper with a milled slot for a side-mounted charging handle, if that's an option for you.
http://megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/ ... oader.html

Best,
JBR
johnbearross

Postby JDeere7296 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm

johnbearross wrote:Mega also sells a slick-side upper with a milled slot for a side-mounted charging handle, if that's an option for you.
http://megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/ ... oader.html

Best,
JBR

I saw those and almost ordered one, i wish they had it on the left side though.....only issue (actually not an issue if you want to spend the extra$$) is you have to use the Young NM bolt carrier with the stud for the charging handle and they run $200 less the bolt. I guess you could drilled and tap an existing bolt carrier but I don't have the tools for that nor would I want to risk ruining a perfectly good BC.
JDeere7296

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles