450 Corvette

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Corvette

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 am

Between doing the most useful 450 Corvette (By the bushel, Man-O-Man, have I ever opened a can of worms, this is a very popular upgrade!) and adjusting std bolts to 450b specs. I don't have much time to do much of anything else.

But, I was contacted by a Major to build and certify, a reliable 357 Magnum-AR, for a rifle/pistol combo offering.

My question to you is... and not that you'd buy, but is this an interesting project to you? Does the sound of a pistol/revolver and an AR all shooting a common cartridge interests you at all??

Of course the 500 Smith is at one end of the rimmed spectrum and the 357 could be said to be at the other. I say 357 because I'll actually make it shoot the 38 Spl and the hot Magnums from the same system.

Again, does the concept interests you? I'd personally carry one just because I can and a Colt Python, with say a 16"+- AR does have an appeal to me, but what say y'all??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 am

That would be a nice addition to my S&W 586. But it sure would be a treat if it shot not only .357Mag but also 38SP. Especially if it would feed lead semiwadcutters.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:35 am

I have tooo many other wants and desires so count me out for the time being. I'm leaning toward a more powerfull 9mm carbine, such as yours. I have thousands of 9mm bullets from my comp. days. (PM sent)
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:That would be a nice addition to my S&W 586. But it sure would be a treat if it shot not only .357Mag but also 38SP. Especially if it would feed lead semiwadcutters.

Robin, now you're thinking like me. The targeted ammunition would be pure 357 magnum, but for a Reliability Factor I'd set it up for the 38spl semi-wadcutter of which you speak of. Now then, who makes a lightly loaded (as in factory target/practice) round that meets that criteria? Light bullets are better for setup, my system will work on lighter loads and Hot Mag loads all at the same time. But it to has it's limits too. Setting up for a custom handload (squib type) is not what I need. A "Factory" Light Load would however be fine, who makes them??

..t

PS.. The lead bullet will go faster in a longer barrel. As you know, speeds above 1500fps will lead the bore so speeds of half that might be the target (say 750-1000fps)??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BW460 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 am

WC, you are just going to have to stop this nonsense! It is getting way too expensive for me to keep reading this board! YES, I want a 357 mag in an AR platform! Not sure about buying a package with a revolver - I already have those. I would be most interested in just the upper. But.... because I'm in the PRM ( Peoples Republic of Maryland) it would have to be a hbar profile barrel.

Woody
BW460

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 am

jerdebson wrote:I have tooo many other wants and desires so count me out for the time being. I'm leaning toward a more powerfull 9mm carbine, such as yours. I have thousands of 9mm bullets from my comp. days. (PM sent)

Hey Jer-the-Bear,

I hear ya and me too in that regard.

But for the PH that can't carry a dozen guns or the gentleman that just wants to clean up his Rucksack, a combo gun set-up might make sense if he also wants to consolidate and maximize his situation. The only question in my mind, .."is the combo set-up sufficient to get the job done"? Obviously, a 22lr combo might not be the best idea for a Dangerous Animal Hunt..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby jerdebson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:32 am

WC, did you get my PM a couple days back concerning the LG 9mm nato, concerning clarifications and options?
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby MarkCO » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 am

Hmm, .357 Magnum from an AR. I have a lot of ARs, and I have a good amount of Revolvers. Frankly, a .357 Magnum AR makes me frown rather than raise an eyebrow. I'd maybe think about .38 Super, or even better 10mm before .357 Mag. If I wanted a Revolver cartridge in an AR, I would probably look at 45 Colt or .41 Magnum. If I wanted it for the masses (albeit a very small niche) I would probably go for .44 Magnum and make it run .44 Spls.
MarkCO

Postby jerdebson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 am

There you go getting me interested in another upper. A 38S (where I could use 9x23) or a 45 LC would be FUN.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 pm

So far. My main interest is the LG 9mm NATO. But I've also got about 900 count of 158 grain semiwadcutters that I've yet to load for my .357. I cut my teeth on the .357 Mag/ 38SP and the 30-30. My problem right now is finding brass. Most of my old brass has since been sent to the recycler. I've got probably 1500 .357 and about half that of 38 Special.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles