450 Corvette

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Corvette

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:51 pm

That's what thumper is. A shot put at 2200-2500 FPS. And due to upcoming lead crisis after December, I'm not sure faster is the way we want to go. We may be smelting our own here in a year or two. The Huge smelting firm in MO will close its doors in December this year. It's the only remaining smelter in the US and the EPA cracked down on it so hard, they just said "screw it, we are done. Adios". So you guys better be thinking out if the box.
What...?
Oh.!!!
You didn't hear about this?
Add this story to your 1.6 billion rounds of ammo at DHS.
http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/28/end-o ... -december/
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Nosparks » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 pm

With the current surge in most State's Fish and Game departments to remove lead from all hunting rounds, I have been slowly testing loads with the all copper/ all brass projectiles. And in my .06 they far out perform a standard lead nose hunting round. I think it has to do with the fact the projectile has to be longer to get the same weight as a lead round. The length I believe gives it more stability in flight. This may not be such a bad thing as far as shooting goes, but for the shooters pocket book it may hurt just a little bit.
Nosparks

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 am

It's back door gun control. The British tried the same gig in 1774 by trying to take away gun powder and taxing lead. You can see where that lead us.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:14 am

I talked to my contacts at Hornady, Freedom and a few others. The smelter in MO has been on the way to closing for 2 years. They primarily supply lead for car batteries, not the other uses of lead. My industry contacts said it will have no actual impact on the supply of lead for bullets. However, all the panic people will go buy ammo making it seem like there is an effect.
MarkCO

Postby MarkCO » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:24 pm

FWIW, after discussing the 450 Corvette with Wildcatter, I ran some calcs, did a little research and I am headed down a slightly alternative path. Still going to have Wildcatter do the rifle length gas, but I went with a custom barrel profile and faster twist to take advantage of the horsepower increase with heavier slugs and hopefully an accuracy benefit out at 300 to 400 hundred or so. We will see what we can get.
MarkCO

Postby jerdebson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 pm

MarkCO wrote:FWIW, after discussing the 450 Corvette with Wildcatter, I ran some calcs, did a little research and I am headed down a slightly alternative path. Still going to have Wildcatter do the rifle length gas, but I went with a custom barrel profile and faster twist to take advantage of the horsepower increase with heavier slugs and hopefully an accuracy benefit out at 300 to 400 hundred or so. We will see what we can get.

That sounds good Mark, I would also like to know how that works for you. We are sending in stock uppers for the conversion to "450C". It will take a little while to get my reloading setup moved and reset in my shop, hopefully not too long though. Until then we will be shooting factory ammo.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Colohunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 am

Sierra Bullets posted that they use recycled lead for all of their uses and won't be affected directly by the smelter shutting down. They did concede however that it could affect prices.

http://theblackrifle.blogspot.com/2013/ ... elter.html
Colohunter

Postby Nosparks » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Sierra Bullets posted that they use recycled lead for all of their uses and won't be affected directly by the smelter shutting down. They did concede however that it could affect prices.

http://theblackrifle.blogspot.com/2013/ ... elter.html

Of course! They are a business and if they can find a way to raise a price without looking bad they will do it!! I promise there will not be a shortage of recyclable lead any time soon. As batteries are scrapping from anywhere $0.20-$0.50 a pound! AND every combustion engine needs one!
Nosparks

Postby jerdebson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Has anyone sent their 450B in for the 450C conversion? More importantly, has anyone got theirs back and tried it out? I hope to get mine sent in today.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby jerdebson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm

My two new 450Bs are in the UPS system. I hope to see 450Cs returned as soon as WC gets them done. Thanks Tim.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles