Mag and feeding problems

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mag and feeding problems

Postby helidude350 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Hey 'Dawg, that's cooler than one of those blood and semen lights they use on CSI.
helidude350

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 pm

It may have just been my eyes, but I didn't see the bruised poly bumper until I hit it from the side with an LED flashlight. And I know some guys may have bumpers that are not translucent. :|
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Sesshoku » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Update: I found no marks on the bumper at all. I don't believe that to be the problem because my bolt seems to travel all the way back and I can lock it. Also, I checked the extractor by placing a spent brass in there and it locked straight in with no issues. Everything there seems to be in order. I removed the extractor from the bolt and checked it by lining it up to the rim of a case. The case fit just fine and there was even a bit of room to spare.

I'm wondering if maybe I still need to do more breaking in or if I possibly need a heavier buffer. I know on some posts it's been said that a heavier buffer shouldn't be needed, but could I have an upper that is the exception to that rule? I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow. If that happens, I plan to record video of the rifle during shooting. If I can get video and slow it down, maybe some of you can see if there is something I'm missing that could be the root cause of my stove piping issues.
Sesshoku

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 am

If you shoot the video in a .MOV format, I can slow it down pretty good on my iMac. And if you're using a Go Pro camera, that's even better if you put the settings at 120 frames per second.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby helidude350 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:38 pm

One possibility could be " limp wristing" like with pistols.
I recently went shooting with a buddy, shooting ar45's.
The rifle functions just fine.
The rounds kept stove piping for him.
He was holding it loosely at those times, not up to his shoulder.
He would stove pipe it. I would clear it. Fire multiple rounds, no problem.
Hand it back, he would do it again.
I would clear it , rapid fire no problem.
Then he would do it again.

Just a thought.
helidude350

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi again. Could you post some pictures of the empty brass? Let's say five or six laid in their side and then where I can see the primers and rim. This brass must not be wiped down or cleaned in any way. Just carefully picked up, bagged and taken to a clean surface where you can lay it out and photograph it closely in at least a five to ten megapixel camera. Then email them to me at TexasSheepdawg@gmail.com. Take pictures of any scarring on brass that was not caused by hitting the ground.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Sesshoku » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Made it to the range today and had mixed results again. Accuracy was great but had many stovepipes and jams again. It started out stovepiping on the second shot and continued on the second shot of each of about 5 groups. Thinking I may have been "limp wristing" it as was mentioned earlier, I made sure I had a solid anchor on my shoulder and continued. Still had problems.

Then it got worse. As a spent brass got stovepiped, a live round tried to feed and both got jammed. That put a hell of a dent in the brass of the live round. This happened two more times before I decided to just load mags with single rounds so I could spend my time shooting and not continually clearing a jam. Frustration is really setting in, and I think I'm going to have to give Bushmaster a call in the morning.

I did shoot video with my GoPro set to 120fps at 720p. I'll try to get that edited and uploaded to YouTube yet tonight. I will also shoot some pictures of the brass and email those to you.

I'm sorry to be such a bother on this, but I'm at a real loss here. With the accuracy I'm getting, I really want this rifle to work for me. My actual ballistics (1.5" high at 50, 4" high at 100) don't seem to match the numbers I'm told to expect, but that is the least of my problems right now.
Sesshoku

Postby helidude350 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Shooting single shot, does every spent case clear and eject?
helidude350

Postby Sesshoku » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Most do, but some do not. I'm editing the video down to slow motion right now, and maybe that will give you guys a good idea what's going on.
Sesshoku

Postby Sesshoku » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Here is the video I shot today. I have each clip in regular speed then a short replay slowed down to 10%. I sure hope this shows someone what the heck is going on. Well, besides my bad form.

http://youtu.be/bsc5XOJLucQ

At the end of the clip, I tried to show the gouge in the brass of the live round after it got jammed. It doesn't show up well partly because it was the smaller gouge of the three times it happened. The first two dented the brass a good 1/8th of an inch.
Sesshoku

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles